- Check out books, DVDs, video games, music CDs, audiobooks, and magazines
- Access numerous online resources, such as e-books, e-magazines, music, audiobooks, movies, online classes, and databases
- Place holds on available and checked out items
- Request items from other Michigan libraries
Library cards are available to residents of Canton, MI, and those who work or attend school in Canton. Present a valid driver's license or Michigan ID card, paystub, or current school ID/report card at the Checkout Desk. Canton residents can apply online for a card.
Note: Non-residents can purchase Canton Public Library Card(s) for $140* annually per family.
* Canton's average annual household tax contribution for library services.
For full details, view our borrowing schedule. Generally:
- Books and most other materials: 3 weeks
- DVDs and special items: 1 week
If you have a fine/fee/bill on your account, you can pay at the Checkout Desk with cash, check, or credit/debit card or pay online by signing in to your Patron Record. If you have $20 or more in fines/fees/bills, your account will be blocked. If you have a balance of $35 and/or have material 45 days past due, your balance will be sent to collections. A non-refundable collection fee will also be added to your account.
Patrons with a Canton or Plymouth library card can remotely, or in person, request specific items from our collection. When the material is ready for pickup, you will be notified via email or phone, according to your preference. Hold items are held for 5 days after becoming available.
After receiving a notification that requested material(s) are available, there are three options for picking up these materials:
1. Hold Shelf in the library
Available any time the library is open to the public. After locating your item(s) filed by last name on our Hold Shelf, check them out at a self-check station or at the main Check Out desk.
2. Holds Pickup
- After you’ve been notified that your item(s) are ready, use this Schedule button to reserve time within a 20 minute timeslot for your curbside delivery.
- Upon your arrival at the library, utilize one of the designated curbside parking spaces and call
734-397-0999 option 8to notify us of your arrival.
- While you wait for you materials to be brought out, please open your trunk or rear window. Our staff member will place the materials inside an open window, or in your trunk and then close it.
- Returns are not accepted at curbside.
Your items will renew two days before their due date, granting you another loan period (3 weeks or 1 week, generally) from your original due date so you will not lose any days with your items as a part of this automatic process. Your courtesy notice email will alert you if an item has been automatically renewed, and will include the new due date.
To manually renew:
- Online: Check the boxes, then press "renew selected"
- By Phone: Call 734-397-0999 (option #3 for Checkout Desk) and a staff member can assist you
- By Text Message: Sign up for text message alerts. Once you are signed up with your library card, keyword "ra" to 833-568-7876 (the number that sends your alerts).
Stay up-to-date on your account with the library's Shoutbomb text messaging service. You can:
- Get alerts about holds, items due soon, and overdue items
- Renew eligible items via text message
- Continue to receive your standard email or telephone notice as usual
Sign up for Shoutbomb by texting the word signup to 833-568-7876 or filling out this form. Canton Public Library does not charge for this service, but your mobile plan's regular text messaging rates apply.
Reciprocal Borrowing: Your Canton Public Library card works at many local libraries, and residents of other TLN communities may use their local library cards at Canton (some restrictions apply). Bring the library card issued to you at your home library along with valid photo ID to be entered into our system.