The Friends are people like you — members of the community who support the library's goals and services. They advocate on behalf of the library, raise the funds to meet specific library needs, and volunteer their time to serve the library and its users.
The Friends' support provides:
- Secondhand Prose Bookstore
- Wings of Wonder Butterfly Garden
- 62 Days of Summer program
- Special collections
- Annual CPL employee scholarships
Secondhand Prose Bookstore
An ever-changing inventory of newly-donated books and DVDs is available for purchase at bargain prices at the Secondhand Prose Bookstore. Find us in the southwest corner of the library, just past the DVD and magazine collections. Watch for our monthly Bag Sales during the last full week of each month.
Donations of books, DVDs and other media are accepted at the rear of the building, near the loading dock.
Due to storage constraints, we can not accept CDs, magazines, encyclopedias or Reader's Digest condensed books.
Bookstore hours may change depending on the availability of volunteers and any local, state, or federal restrictions. In times of inclement weather, the bookstore will close when Plymouth-Canton Community Schools are closed. It's wise to call ahead.
- Monday, 10:00 AM-4:00 PM, 6:00-8:00 PM*
- Tuesday, 2:00-4:00 PM, 6:00-8:00 PM
- Wednesday, 10:00 AM-4:00 PM, 6:00-8:00 PM
- Thursday, 10:00 AM-4:00 PM, 6:00-8:00 PM
- Friday, 10:00 AM-4:00 PM
- Saturday, 10:00 AM-4:00 PM
- Sunday, Closed
Tuesday, noon-2:00 PM Business Members
*Third Monday of the month, 5:30-6:45 PM
Become a Supporter
It's easy to be a Friend of the Library. Join now with an online donation.
- Individual: $15 annually
- Student or Senior: $10 annually
- Family: $25 annually
- Premium: $50 annually
- Best Friend: $100 annually
You may also complete the membership application included in the Friends of the Library brochure, available at the Secondhand Prose Bookstore, and return it with your membership fee.
All new Friends receive a coupon for a free paperback book, redeemable at the Secondhand Prose Bookstore.
The Friends of the Library board meets at the library on the second Wednesday of each month at 4:30 PM. The Friends' Annual Meeting in June is open to all members.
Your Friends' contribution is tax-deductible.
Photo, left to right: Linda Garrett, Kathy Young, Carol Isakson, Nancy Smith, Rhoda Wolshon, Patty Jenkins, Jane Payton. Not pictured: Carol Symanns.
Friends' Fundraiser: Kroger Community Rewards
Wings of Wonder Butterfly Garden
The Friends of the Canton Public Library sponsor a butterfly garden on the south side of the library. The garden provides a peaceful, natural setting for community enjoyment and additional opportunities for educational programming.
Book Crew Group
The Friends' of the Library seek adult volunteers to work in the Secondhand Prose Bookstore. These volunteer positions include:
- Work as an on-call volunteer on Mondays or Thursdays to sort through weekly donations when regular volunteers are unavailable. This job requires moderate physical activity, such as bending and lifting.
- Work as an on-call volunteer to shelve books on Tuesday mornings. This job requires moderate physical activity, such as bending and lifting.
- Work 2-hour shifts in the bookstore.
Training is provided. Visit the Secondhand Prose Bookstore to obtain a volunteer application.