- Check out books, DVDs, video games, music CDs, audiobooks, and magazines
- Access numerous online resources, such as e-books, e-magazines, music, audiobooks, movies, online classes, and databases
- Check out an iPad
- Place holds on available and checked out items
- Request items from other Michigan libraries
Library cards are available to residents of Canton, MI, and those who work or attend school in Canton. Present a valid driver's license or Michigan ID card, paystub, or current school ID/report card at the Checkout Desk. Canton residents age 18 and older can apply online for a card.
Note: Non-residents can purchase Canton Public Library Card(s) for $140* annually per family.
* Canton's average annual household tax contribution for library services.
For full details, view our borrowing schedule. Generally:
- Books and most other materials: 3 weeks
- DVDs and special items: 1 week
If you have a fine/fee/bill on your account, you can pay at the Checkout Desk with cash, check, or credit/debit card or pay online by signing in to your Patron Record. If you have $20 or more in fines/fees/bills, your account will be blocked. If you have a balance of $35 and/or have material 45 days past due, your balance will be sent to collections. A non-refundable collection fee will also be added to your account.
Patrons with a Canton or Plymouth library card can remotely, or in person, request specific items from our collection. When the material is ready for pickup, you will be notified via email or phone, according to your preference. Your requested items will be kept on the hold shelf for four days after you receive notification. We will charge a $.25 fee for each held item that is not picked up within four days. You can avoid this fee by canceling or freezing holds you are unable to pick up.
- Online: Check the boxes, then press "renew selected"
- By Phone: Call 734-397-0999 (option #3 for Checkout Desk) and a staff member can assist you
- By Text Message: Sign up for text message alerts. Once you are signed up with your library card, keyword "ra" to firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay up-to-date on your account with the library's Shoutbomb text messaging service. You can:
- Get alerts about holds, items due soon, and overdue items
- Renew eligible items via text message
- Continue to receive your standard email or telephone notice as usual
Sign up for Shoutbomb by texting the word signup to 734-619-6615 or filling out this form. Canton Public Library does not charge for this service, but your mobile plan's regular text messaging rates apply.
Reciprocal Borrowing: Your Canton Public Library card works at many local libraries, and residents of other TLN communities may use their local library cards at Canton (some restrictions apply). Bring the library card issued to you at your home library along with valid photo ID to be entered into our system.