There are a number of resources, including several here at the Canton Public Library, for people seeking opportunities to practice their English with a trained tutor in our community. Take a look at all the ways you can practice your English, including getting a one-on-one tutor, participating in ELL conversation groups, and enrolling in ESL classes.
The Community Literacy Council offers tutoring for adults 18 and older who need help with basic reading, writing, or English conversation. During weekly meetings, your trained volunteer tutor will help you reach your personal improvement goals. Registration is required for one-on-one tutoring. There is a one-time registration fee of $25. All tutoring is free.
Conversation, Reading, and Book Groups
Note that some groups are in person and some are on Zoom. The ones labeled “Currently on Zoom” are temporarily on Zoom with plans to go back to in person.
Canton Public Library (in partnership with the Community Literacy Council)
- Conversation Group (Zoom): Thursdays, 10:00-11:00 AM
- Conversation Group: Fridays, 9:30-11:00 AM
- Reading Group: Fridays, 11:30 AM-12:30 PM
- Book Club (Zoom): Fridays, 11:30 AM-12:30 PM
Plymouth District Library (in partnership with the Community Literacy Council)
Registration required through Plymouth’s Event Calendar.
- Conversation Group (Zoom): Mondays, 10:00-11:00 AM
- Reading Group (Zoom): Mondays, 11:00 AM-12:00 PM
- Page by Page Book Club (Zoom): Mondays, 3:00-4:00 PM
Connection Church (in partnership with the Community Literacy Council)
3855 S. Sheldon Rd. Canton, 48188. Contact Joyce Silagy for Zoom links.
- Intermediate Conversation Group (Zoom): Tuesdays, 6:30-8:00 PM
- Beginners Conversation Group (Room 102): Saturdays, 9:30-11:00 AM
- Intermediate Conversation Group (Zoom): Saturdays, 9:30-10:30 AM
- Book Club (Zoom): Saturdays, 10:30-11:00 AM
Northville District Library
- Conversation Group (Zoom): Tuesdays, 10:30 AM-12:00 PM
St. John Neumann Catholic Church
44800 Warren Rd, Canton, MI 48187. Contact Jodi Ring for more information.
- Conversation Group: Wednesdays, 7:30-8:30 PM
39750 Joy Road Plymouth, MI 48170. Improve your English with conversation, grammar, reading and writing skills.
- Registration information: Specific course schedules will be based upon test scores and class availability. Students in most classes will have a remote or in person class option as well as a day or evening option.
- Registration is required at Plymouth-Canton Community Schools, call 734-416-4901.