Want to build healthy habits in 2022 but feel stuck? Let me tell you about Ceratotherium simum, the Sumatran rhinoceros. It’s an inspiration to us all.
- It’s 100% vegetarian, which is impressive for a 1,000-2,000 lb juggernaut.
- It bathes regularly. In mud, yes, but mud stops parasites, which is the main reason we bathe too, other than, you know, the whole smell thing.
- It sleeps 8 hours a day. That’s no koala, which can clock in at 22, but it’s respectable, and an achievable goal for us too.
- It sings regularly, wailing for 3 to 7 seconds at a time. Trust me, we’d all be a lot happier if we sang.
- It doesn’t lie, like by suggesting there might be “7 habits” in a title when there are really only 5 (what can I say? I’m no rhino, and I couldn’t resist riffing on this).
You might rightly ask, “what does this have to do with me?” Well, if you are struggling with a New Year’s resolution about your health, there’s an important lesson to be learned from the rhino, and it’s a simple one. Lifehack.org has 18 Tricks to Make New Habits Stick, one of which is to keep it simple. The thing is, rhinos have relatively small brains compared to their size (about 400-600 grams, whereas a human brain is 1200-1300), so realize, if they can do it, you can too. Check out 7 Healthy Habits for a Healthy Life from Livingmagazine.net for some healthy goals, and make sure you take care of yourself in 2022, both body and mind.