'Tis that time a voyage again t' celebrate all things swashbuckling. International Talk Like A Pirate Day be Septembree 19th, but we be celebratin' on both th' 18th an' 19th. Avast by th' library fer some good old gentleman o' fortune fun! Most importantly dasn't forget t' check ou' a sea dog book or two.
Nguyen and her family left Vietnam in 1975, and relocated to Michigan. Stealing Buddha's Dinner is a memoir of the author's childhood and experiences of assimilation into American culture. This is Nguyen's only appearance in the Detroit area; and her presentation is not to be missed.
National Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated from mid-September through mid-October each year. The resources in this Special Collection provide an introduction to the culture, identity and direction of the diverse population that is Hispanic.
Arte Latino: Treasures From the Smithsonian American Art Museum by Jonathan Yorba: This book documents 50 Latino artists from the U.S. and Puerto Rico as they explore their identity and influence on U.S. culture over the past two centuries through various media.
- Always looking up: the adventures of an incurable optimist by Michael J. Fox
- Cloris: my autobiography by Cloris Leachman
- Fred Astaire by Joseph Epstein
- I loved, I lost, I made spaghetti by Giulia Melucci
- It was all right: Mitch Ryder's life in music by James A.
- The Arabs: a short history by Heinz Halm
- Dreams and shadows: the future of the Middle East by Robin Wright
- The great Arab conquests: how the spread of Islam changed the world we live in by Hugh Kennedy
- A history of Islamic societies by Ira M. Lapidus
- A history of the Arab peoples by Albert Hourani
- Kingmakers: the invention of the modern Middle East by Karl E.
- Nancy Goodman Brinker
- Pedro José Greer, Jr. [Wikipedia]
- Stephen Hawking
- Jack Kemp [Wikipedia]
- Sen. Edward Kennedy
- Billie Jean King
- Rev. Joseph Lowery [Wikipedia]
- Joe Medicine Crow – High Bird
- Harvey Milk
- Sandra Day O’Connor
- Sidney Poitier
- Chita Rivera
- Mary Robinson
- Janet Davison Rowley [Wikipedia]
- Desmond Tutu
- Muhammad Yunus