Books and MoreGreat resource: browse our book lists by topic or genre.
See also: Books and more for bestsellers and great reads.
Recommendations by Grade
Recommendations by Genre
- Fantasy/Science Fiction
- Graphic Novels
- Historical Fiction
- Humorous/Funny Fiction
- Michigan Authors and Stories
- Realistic Fiction
DatabasesDatabases are premium sources for articles, books, media, and organized information. We have many more sources on the main databases page.
- Accelerated Reader BookFinder
- Britannica School — encyclopedia articles, primary sources, games, videos and other learning resources for K-12 students; school code is MeL5
- Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia — searchable e-book
- Kids InfoBits — book passages, news, facts & figures, images
- LearningExpress Library — lessons, practice tests and study aids for math, social studies and language arts
- NoveList K8 Plus — read-alike suggestions and Lexile levels
- World Book Kids — online encyclopedia
- World of Earth Science — searchable e-book
Early Literacy Online ResourcesThese fun online resources contains stories and games specifically geared towards beginning and pre-readers.
- ABCmouse — interactive books and educational activities (in-library use only)
- BookFlix — interactively explore fiction and non-fiction
- Britannica Learning Zone — activity-centered learning to explore, play, read, and build technology skills; school code is MeL5
- Early World of Learning — early literacy games and other learning activities
- Tumblebooks — great online books
Early LiteracyLiteracy development begins at birth. Children begin to associate shapes, symbols, books, and objects with contexts before they are able to actually read and write.
To help develop these emergent skills, our early literacy area includes skills-focused toys/games plus puppets for creative play and social skills. In the same area is our Baby Nook, where patrons ages 18 months and younger are invited to play and learn in a safe environment.
Fun and Games
- Anne of Green Gables
- Barbie Games
- Ben's Guide to the U.S. Government
- Club Penguin
- CyberChase Games Central
- Learning Planet
- New York Public Library "On-Lion" Reading
- Polly Pocket Games
- Recommended STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) Sites
- Boowa and Kwala Home — songs, games, stories
- Dinosaur Puppet Activity
- Funschool Preschool Arcade
- Learn to read at Starfall
- PBS Kids — (here you'll find friends from Boobah, Barney, Caillou, Clifford and more)