Fiction: Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
- The older population (65+) numbered 38.9 million in 2008, an increase of 4.5 million or 13.0% since 1998
- The number of Americans aged 45-64 – who will reach 65 over the next two decades – increased by 31% during this decade
- Over one in every eight, or 12.8%, of the population is an older American
- Persons reaching age 65 have an average life expectancy of an additional 18.6 years (19.8 years for females and 17.1 years for males)
Local eating has been in the news a lot the past few years, but how easy is it really? Easier than you'd think, and this book is chock full of ideas. It also outlines the many benefits, both personal and for the community and the world at large, of a locavore lifestyle. Looking for local food here in Canton? The Canton Farmers Market has fresh goods May through October and Calder Dairy delivers and is available along with other local goods at stores like Holiday Market. Are there other local options that you've discovered in Canton? Please share in the comments.
Have you ever seen someone in the library wearing a red shirt, vest, or sweater like the one I'm wearing? They are called Rovers. Rovers are a lot like the librarians who sit at the desk. They answer questions and help you find stuff (like lost parents) except that they walk around the library. They wear red so people can spot them easily. I'd volunteer to be one, but they tell me you have to be mobile. I'm rather stationary, myself.
Say hello to a Rover the next time you're here! You can usually find one walking around when you are out of school. They might not look so brown and fuzzy, though.
The next feature on Masterpiece will be Emma, which begins this Sunday evening.
- The Missing by Tim Gautreaux (Random House - Alfred A.
Don't forget our other language database, Mango Languages that offers over 20 languages all available to you online as well.
The Adult Contemporary Book Discussion Group meets the third Monday of each month in the library Conference Room. This self-directed group discusses contemporary fiction and non fiction at 7:00PM. There is no registration necessary. The 2010 book list was just published, so please join us for some fine reading: