David Tennies is a Civil War Living Historian and reenactor. Unlike many reenactors, Mr. Tennies portrays a civilian role, as Michigan Senator Jacob M. Howard.
Meet Mr. Tennies and ask him your questions as part of our Living Books program. To learn more, drop by our Meet & Greet on Saturday, September 25, from 1:00-3:00PM.
- 10:00-11:30AM: Aspiring Author Workshop — Learn to tell your story, or share your message in this free workshop
- 1:00-5:00PM: Book Expo — More than 20 family-friendly authors sign and sell their works to raise funds for the Canton and Plymouth libraries
- 6:00-8:00PM: Poetry Slam — A family-friendly open mic venue to share your prose and poetry
The redbreast by Jo Nesbø; translated from the Norwegian by Don Bartlett
Last rituals: an Icelandic novel of secret symbols, medieval witchcraft, and modern murder by Yrsa Sigurdardóttir; translated from the Icelandic by Bernard Scudder
Bicycling & the law: your rights as a cyclist by Bob Mionske
Did you know that bicyclists and motorists have equal rights to the road under Michigan law? During the summer months it is especially important to be aware of your surroundings, whether you're on a bike or in a car. Become an informed citizen and remember to always share the road!
Let's Get Plum Crazy!
The boy who harnessed the wind: creating currents of electricity and hope by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer
The bride's farewell by Meg Rosoff
The good soldiers by David Finkel
We'll be kicking off our Living Books program on Saturday, September 25, from 1:00-3:00PM in the Community Room.
This program lets you "check out" a person with a specialty or other interest to learn more about the subject. It's going to be a lot of fun and a great learning experience. See you there!
The Help [kit] by Kathryn Stockett
This title is a natural for book group discussion. It is a tale of three women in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960's and concerns their personal experiences with racial issues during the civil rights era. A deeply moving tale that has remained on the bestseller list for over 70 weeks.
[Photo courtesy of mdprovost via flickr]
- Gurū Gobinda Siṅgha: ikka wilakkhaṇa saḵẖashīata by Ishara Siṅgha
- Tumarī kathā kahī na jāi by Dalīpa Kaura Ṭiwāṇā
- Āzāda yodhā: itihāsaka dasatāwejī nāwala by Ajīta Rāhī
- Bhīmā: nāwala by Rāma Sarūpa Aṇakhī
- Zindagī dūra nahīṃ: kahāṇīāṃ by Jasawanta Siṅgha Kam˘wala
- Naitika kadarāṃ kīmatāṃ: sucajjī zindagī jiūṇa dī kalā by Guracarana Siṅgha