The Winter 2011 issue of Just Between Friends, the newsletter for the Friends of the Canton Public Library, is available online now as a pdf document. This issue has features on the FOML Fall Workshop, financial information, and "Save the Date" reminders for many upcoming events.
January 26 at Noon in the Internet Lab. Register online.
January 27 at 7:00PM in the Community Room. No registration needed.
- Call to Order
- Call to Audience
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Report of the Library Director
- Old Business
- Nomination and Election of Officers for 2011 (item of action)
- Fundraising in 2011 (item of discussion)
- New Business
- Call to Audience
Looking for some fun historical reads? Look no further.
Sugar changed the world: a story of magic, spice, slavery, freedom, and science by Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos
Countdown by Deborah Wiles
Journey into Mohawk Country as written by H.M. van den Bogaert with artwork by George O'Connor and color by Hilary Sycamore
Living large on less: a guide to saving without sacrifice by Christina Spence — Just about everyone is doing more with less these days, and this book is a great guide to many aspects of balancing one's personal budget and making the most of the dollars we do have. One of the most important steps here is to make a budget that actually works for you. You can use spreadsheets, personal finance software, or an online service like Mint.com to track your spending and make some of the adjustments suggested here. The ideas range from quick fixes to challenges that offer a trial run at a larger change.
If you enjoy books by authors like John Hart, then check out this list:
Reversible errors by Scott Turow
The rainmaker by John Grisham
False testimony by Rose Connors
- Wednesday, January 19 — Legal and Tax Aspects of Starting a Small Business: with attorney Ken Bloom of Bloom Asset Management
- Wednesday, January 26 — Social Media I: an introduction to all avenues of social media strategy for beginners
- Thursday, February 10 — Social Media II: the nuts and bolts of social media for your business — how to open an account, post pictures and use varied apps
- Wednesday, February 16 — Business School Part II: the professionals from SCORE will help you start or grow your business
Congratulations to Ms. Stead on winning this prestigious award!
Take the Target Pledge to spend time reading with the children in your lives. For each pledge received, Target will donate one book to a child in need, up to one million books! All you'll need is a valid e-mail address to count your pledge. Sign up today and make the future bright for your child as well as others. A few great read-together titles for you to consider:
Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
Papa, please get the moon for me by Eric Carle
Photo courtesy of NAIAS