May is a great time to explore Canton and the surrounding area. Spring is in full bloom and there are dozens of unique happenings this month. You can find carnival food and high energy entertainment or peace and natural beauty. Many of these events are not free and do require registration so please plan accordingly.
May We Interest You in Sports?
Late spring is a great time to get involved in outdoor sports. Chances are the weather will be nice and you’ll be able to play with family and neighbors. If you don’t want to participate you can always be a spectator.
- NAIA Women’s Lacrosse Championship – Lawrence Tech University (Southfield) is hosting the championship tournament for the top women’s lacrosse NAIA teams. This is a great opportunity for any young players to see more experienced athletes compete. Tickets required for entry. The tournament will take place from May 3-6, 2023, times to be determined.
- Fishing Derby – Canton’s Fishing Derby is back—this derby is open to all ages and is family-friendly. You will need to bring your own gear and register if you plan on fishing. Registration is available on site. The derby will take place on May 6, 2023 at 9:00 AM.
- Pickleball League – Are you looking to challenge your Pickleball skills? If so, this is the league for you! Experienced Pickleball players will play multiple games, shifting partners and courts throughout the evening. Registration required. The league meets on Thursdays from May 11-June 15, 2023 at 7:00 PM (ages 18+).
- Sand Volleyball Leagues – Adults looking to play sand volleyball regularly should look into Canton’s recreational or competitive leagues. Teams of four will play weekly and participate in a tournament. Teams must register. The leagues will meet weekly from May 15-August 7, 2023 and game times vary between 6:00-10:00 PM (ages 18+).
- Tennis Fun Day – Canton Leisure Services is bringing their summer tennis instructors to the Canton Sports Center for a free fun day of tennis. Learn more about upcoming programs and get in some court time. Registration required. Check it out on May 20, 2023 from 9:00 AM-noon; time slots will be assigned after registration (all ages).
- Canton Cup – The annual Canton Cup soccer tournament is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year. In addition to the thousands of games that will be played over the weekend, there will be food and sport vendors available to browse. No tickets required. The tournament will be held May 26-May 28, 2023.
- Disc Golf Tournament: Rollin’ N’ Rippin’ Open – Amateur and professional disc golfers are welcome to play in the Rollin’ N’ Rippin’ Open tournament in Ypsilanti. There will be two rounds of 21 holes, side games, trophies and merchandise available. Registration required to play. The tournament takes place on May 28, 2023 at 8:30 AM (ages 18+).
- Disc Golf Tournament: NorthRidge Open – NorthRidge Church is hosting a Memorial Day disc golf tournament for amateur and professional players. There will be two rounds of disc golf played, but bring your own disc as there won’t be a player pack provided. Registration required to play. Join the fun on May 29, 2023 at 8:00 AM (ages 18+).
May We Interest You in Family Fun?
There are many activities for young families, dog families and older families this month. Whether you want to get creative, explore pop culture or learn something new there is something for you. Don’t forget to look for “all ages” happenings in other categories for things that might be the perfect fit for your family.
- Visit Gaffield Children’s Garden – There isn’t a special event happening at the Gaffield Children’s Garden, but it is a fun place for great outdoor play. Kids will be able to explore, build, climb and more. No registration or admission required. The garden is open 10:00 AM-4:30 PM daily; Wednesdays open until 8:00 PM.
- KidCreate: Little Mess Maker – Let your little ones make the mess they crave outside of your home. Caregivers will help children paint, sculpt and scribble masterpieces. Registration required. Join in the fun on Wednesdays from May 10-June 14, 2023 at 9:30 AM (ages 18 months-6 years).
- Brick Fest Live – Calling all families who love building with bricks or just want a really engaging family outing. There will be a giant brick pit, Minecraft zone, graffiti wall, derby races, live entertainment and so much more. Tickets are required and the fest will be held from May 12-May 14, 2023; tickets determine entrance time (all ages).
- KidCreate: Cute as a Koala – Older children will learn how to draw adorable koalas in this three-hour art class. The instructor will show them a simple step-by-step drawing process and blending techniques. Registration required. Join in on May 13, 2023 at 1:00 PM (ages 5-12).
- Disney Animation: Immersive Experience – Disney lovers of all ages will adore this amazing experience brought to you by the Lighthouse ArtSpace Detroit. Literally surround yourself in the worlds, music and stories of Disney animation. Tickets are required and the exhibit ends on May 14, 2023.
- How to Tackle Bullying – Learn why people bully and how to respond to a bullying situation. Role play will be included for young people to rehearse responses to bullying behavior. Registration is required for this free class. Check it out on May 17, 2023 at 5:30 PM (ages 8+).
- Motor City Comic Con – Cosplay as your favorite character or just come with your family and immerse yourself in pop culture. You’ll get the chance to see celebrities such as Christopher Lloyd, Jim O’Heir (Jerry from Parks and Recreation), Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek), Catherine Tate (Doctor Who), Michael Rooker (Guardians of the Galaxy) and more. Tickets are required for entry. Get your geek on from May 19-21, 2023 (all ages).
- Bark in the Park – Learn about the Canton Dog Park at this fun park day for you and your canine fur child. There will be live entertainment, free giveaways and merchandise available to purchase. No registration is required, but if you aren’t a member of the dog park please bring proof of your dog’s rabies and DHLPP vaccinations. Raise the woof on May 21, 2023 at 11:00 AM.
- KidCreate: We All Sing the Alphabet Song! – Join your child in exploring the alphabet as they create a clay letter masterpiece. They will get messy and have a ton of fun. Registration is required. Create along on May 27, 2023 at 9:30 AM (ages 18 months-6 years).
May We Interest You in a Show?
What do Aladdin, All Elite Wrestling and SIX (wives of Henry VIII) have in common? They’re all coming to southeast Michigan in May! Take a look to see what’s coming as there is something for everyone.
- The Play That Goes Wrong – What’s not to love about a mix between Monty Python and Sherlock Holmes? Check out this comedic mystery at the Village Theater at Cherry Hill. Tickets are required and the show will be featured from May 5-May 7, 2023.
- Disney’s Aladdin – Take a magic carpet ride to the Fisher Theatre to watch a street rat try to win a princess’s heart. Tickets are required and you can catch this show from May 9-May 14, 2023.
- Blink-182 – The influential punk band is coming to Detroit and special guest Turnstile will also be performing. Tickets are required and you can see the band on May 9, 2023 at 7:30 PM.
- AEW (All Elite Wrestling) – Get ready wrestling fans! AEW: Dynamite and AEW: Rampage are returning to Detroit for another night of bell-to-bell action. Tickets required. See the action on May 10, 2023 at 7:00 PM.
- Madagascar the Musical – Alex, Marty, Melman and Gloria are escaping the zoo and making their way to Madagascar. This brand-new musical from Dreamworks (Shrek the Musical) will leave audiences with no choice but to "Move It, Move It!". Tickets required. Join in on the fun on May 13, 2023 at 2:00 PM.
- The Boarding House – Spotlight Players is a local Canton acting troupe and they’re inviting you to Home Sweet Home Boardinghouse. You’ll love the zany characters and will laugh as you try to solve a mystery. Tickets required. Become a sleuth from May 18-May 21, 2023.
- Seal World Tour 2023 – Seal is coming to the Fox Theatre on his 30th Anniversary Tour. He will be performing his records Seal (1991) and Seal II (1994) in their entirety. Tickets are required and the concert takes place on May 21, 2023 at 8:00 PM.
- SIX – The award-winning original musical is coming to Detroit. Watch Henry VIII’s six wives tell their stories to determine who should be the leader of their new pop group. Tickets available here. The show runs from May 23-June 11, 2023.
May We Interest You in Wellness?
Focus on your health this month. Get your body moving at an exercise class or take it outside for a calming afternoon in the garden. We’ve included classes in this category because learning something new is a great way to boost your mental health.
- Visit the Matthaei Botanical Gardens Trails – Looking for a beautiful setting for a walk? The University of Michigan’s Matthaei Botanical Gardens is a great place to enjoy nature at your own pace. No registration or admission required. The trails are open from sunrise to sunset.
- Visit the Matthaei Botanical Garden Conservatory – If you’re craving the beauty of plant life in bloom, you should visit the conservatory at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens. There are three biome zones with hundreds of species to enjoy. No registration or admission required. The conservatory is closed on Mondays and open 10:00 AM-4:30 PM Tuesday-Sunday; and on Wednesdays until 8:00 PM.
- Prenatal/Postpartum Yoga – A gentle yoga class for expecting mothers. Not only will you take care of yourself physically, but mentally and emotionally as well by interacting with other women. Registration and a doctor’s note approving a fitness class is required. Join in on Sundays from May 7-June 11, 2023 at 10:00 AM.
- Adult Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction – Learn how to combat the stress in your life through this adult wellness course. While it does not replace professional, psychological counseling, it will teach you how to recognize stressors in your life and methods to help you re-focus and re-align your day. Registration required. Check it out on Mondays from May 8-June 12, 2023 at 6:30 PM (ages 18+).
- Barre – Barre combines Pilates, yoga and ballet moves to give you a dancer’s workout without the impact. Learn how to improve your posture, shred pounds, and tone your muscles with low weight movements. Registration required. Join in on Tuesdays from May 9-June 13, 2023 at 9:15 AM (ages 14+).
Senior Sample Exercise – Get moving with a variety of exercise methods. Classes will include a mix of cardio, strength training, balance and yo-chi. Registration required.
Get moving on Tuesdays from May 9-June 13 at 10:15 AM (ages 55+).
- Walt Disney Pilgrimage – Christopher Tremblay of Western Michigan University will be teaching a mini course on Walt Disney. Dr. Tremblay will take you through the life and locations where Walt Disney lived, worked and played. Registration required. Dive into the magic on May 11, 2023 at 6:00 PM (ages 7+).
- Mixed Media Fiber Art Workshop – Based on each month’s exhibition, the Gallery at Cherry Hill offers a special art workshop for adults. This month you will learn how to paint with a needle, wool and unprimed canvas (all of which is provided). Registration is required. Unleash your creativity on May 17, 2023 at 6:00 PM (ages 18+).