October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month and a great time to learn how to protect your personal data from cyber criminals. You can take simple steps to increase your cybersecurity online and #BeCyberSmart with some tips that we'll share in this article.
The Research & Learn page and subsequent Online Learning & Test Preparation section suggests many resources that can get you started on your journey to staying safe and secure online. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Internet Safety with GCF LearnFree – This tutorial walks you through all the basics of cybersecurity through a series of articles and videos.
- Internet Safety for Kids with GCF LearnFree – This tutorial uses articles and videos and is aimed at parents and their children. It teaches basic topics as well as social networks, cyberbullying and more.
- Accounts and Passwords with Digital Learn – This 20-minute course teaches you how to create safe accounts online.
- Online Fraud and Scams with Digital Learn – In just 11 minutes, learn how to spot frauds and scams.
- Internet Privacy with Digital Learn – This 13-minute tutorial covers beginner internet privacy concerns.
- GetSetUp – This resource, geared towards seniors, offers free online classes covering a variety of topics, including technology and computers.
Gale Courses offers a six-week course on an Introduction to PC Security at no charge with your Canton Public Library card. This is a great way to dive deep into the topic.
In 2022, the National Cybersecurity Alliance recommends the following steps to protect yourself online: