T.S. Eliot said that April is the cruelest month, but we think January is absolutely savage. The sky is gray and it feels like winter will never end. Daylight Savings Time hasn't begun yet, so the sun is still setting before 6:00 PM. Plus, the holiday season is over and that's enough to make anyone grumpy.
If you're starting to feel down in the dumps this month, remember to take time for yourself. We've collected some quick and easy mood boosters to help keep the winter blues away. These simple activities are perfect for a 5-minute break from studying or scrolling social media:
- Check out the Detroit Zoo's live penguin cam to see some adorable Antarctic pals in action.
- Listen to a happy song—we suggest a bop by the incomparable Lizzo.
- Write down a few things that you're grateful for—you might be surprised by how much you can think of.
- What's your favorite sound? Try mixing ambient noises on A Soft Murmur and see which is the best fit for you.
- Take a few minutes to enjoy this amazing compilation of baby animals being adorable.
- Take a break from screens. Even five minutes away from your phone and computer can help, but take a longer break if you're able to.
- Make a card for a friend. Doing something nice for someone else immediately makes you feel good.
- Make a playlist. Spend a few minutes curating the perfect selection of music to fit a specific mood.
- Follow along with a short meditation video.
If you feel consistently sad or depressed, reach out to a friend, family member, or trusted adult for help. Dial 988 to reach a crisis hotline at any time.