Books and More
Recommendations by Grade
Recommendations by Genre
- Fantasy/Science Fiction
- Graphic Novels
- Historical Fiction
- Humorous/Funny Fiction
- Michigan Authors and Stories
- Realistic Fiction
- Spooky/Scary Stories
HelpNow by Brainfuse offers live homework help, study tools, test preparation and virtual group study space for K-12 students and lifelong learners. HelpNow provides assistance in multiple formats to help you write a better paper, ace the test, or better understand a tough math problem.
* Live tutors are available 7 days a week, from 2pm to 11pm.
Databases are premium sources for articles, books, media, and organized information. We have many more sources on the main databases page.
- Accelerated Reader BookFinder
- Britannica School — encyclopedia articles, primary sources, games, videos and other learning resources for K-12 students; school code is MeL5
- Global Road Warrior — a comprehensive cultural database that features in-depth information on 175 countries, helpful for school reports and international travel and business
- Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia — searchable e-book
- LearningExpress Library — lessons, practice tests and study aids for math, social studies and language arts
- NoveList K8 Plus — read-alike suggestions and Lexile levels
- World Book Kids — online encyclopedia
- World of Earth Science — searchable e-book
To help develop these emergent skills, our early literacy area includes skills-focused manipulatives, puppets for creative play and social skills, plus iPads and AWE stations with educational apps.
Early Literacy Online Resources
These fun online resources contains stories and games specifically geared towards beginning and pre-readers.
- ABCmouse — interactive books and educational activities (in-library use only)
- BookFlix — interactively explore fiction and non-fiction
- Britannica Learning Zone — activity-centered learning to explore, play, read, and build technology skills; school code is MeL5
- World Book Early Learning — early literacy games and other learning activities
- StoryWeaver — online picture books available in 120 languages
- Tumblebooks — great online books
Lit Lab Productions
Lit Lab Productions are themed programs where we build literacy skills through reading, talking, writing, singing, and playing. Literacy skills are essential to a child's development and understanding of all aspects of the world, including reading comprehension and lifelong learning. We want to provide an environment where children develop these skills while having FUN!
If you've missed a Lit Lab Production, or just want to experience a Lit Lab Production again, grab a handout from below for some at-home Lit Lab literacy and fun!
- March 2019: If You Give a Moose a Muffin
- February 2019: Rainbow Fish
- January 2019: Fairy Tale Remix
- December 2018: Dragons Love Food
- November 2018: Snow
- October 2018: Star Wars Reads
- September 2018: Lego Batman
Fun and Games
- Anne of Green Gables
- Barbie Games
- Ben's Guide to the U.S. Government
- Club Penguin
- CyberChase Games Central
- Learning Planet
- Polly Pocket Games
- Recommended STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) Sites
- Boowa and Kwala Home — songs, games, stories
- Dinosaur Puppet Activity
- Funschool Preschool Arcade
- Learn to read at Starfall
- PBS Kids — (here you'll find friends from Barney, Caillou, Clifford and more)
Thorndyke T. Bear is our resident bear. He, along with his comrade-in-arms LB (Little Buddy), keep an eye over the Children's Library and have adventures. You can follow their exploits at Thorndyke Thoughts. For more on Thorndyke and LB, see: