The Chairperson, Kim Schulz called the meeting to order at 6:00 PM
- Present: N. Eggenberger, M. Farell, J. Fausone, T. Hartnett, K. Schulz
- Absent: S. Foster
- Also Present: E. Davis, K. Gladden
Call to Audience(L. Golden, R. Havenstein-Coughlin, L. Papa, S. Rzetelny, N. Szczepanski) – None
Approval of AgendaThe agenda was approved as amended by unanimous consent.
Approval of General Meeting MinutesThe minutes were approved by unanimous consent.
E. Davis distributed copies of a document from the League of Women Voters concerning State Proposal 14-1 (which appears on the August 5 ballot), the act that would (if passed) provide funding to replace the revenue lost to libraries (and othe municipal entities) when the Personal Property Tax for small businesses was eliminated.
Davis invited the board to attend the annual staff picnic (Tuesday, August 19 from 11:30 AM-1:30 PM); an official invitation from the Social Committee will be forthcoming.
The Friends of the Library are interested in installing a butterfly garden, in the library grounds overlooked by the fireplace area. (There is a water feature in that space currently, but mechanical problems necessitated turning off the water supply four years ago.) Jim Laffey and Marian Nicholson have met with Friends board members and will be working with them and with Reliable Landscaping to implement a plan.
- The chill island music of Gratitude Steel Band
- inaBooth photography
- Kona ice truck
- Hot dogs will be cooked by Crusin' Custom Coneys
- Face Painting by Astute Artistry
- The stylings of the Balloon Buffoon, John Duh
- Canton Leisure Services Bouncy House
- Detroit Circus and Flyhouse performers
- Farm Animal Petting Zoo from Carousel Acres and much more...
We look forward to seeing you and will be ready to PARTY!
Burn [videodisc] by directed by Tom Putnam and Brenna Sanchez
Half the road: the passion, pitfalls & power of women's professional cycling [videodisc] by written, produced, and directed by Kathryn Bertine
St. Paul's Cathedral [videodisc] by produced by Atlantic Productions Ltd. for National Geographic Channels in association with PBS & France TV ; series producer, Lara Acaster ; director, Jay Taylor
Trashed [videodisc] by Blenheim Films presents a film by Candida Brady ; executive producer, Jeremy Irons ; produced by Candida Brady & Titus Ogilvy ; written & directed by Candida Brady
Wild Brazil [videodisc]: Land of fire and flood by producer, Joe Stevens ; director, Adam White ; a BBC/ Discovery Channel co-production
To be considered for the Women's EXPO, complete and return the vendor application by Monday October 6, 2014. Space is limited. For questions, contact Business Resource Librarian Amy Lee.
Before Motown: a history of jazz in Detroit, 1920-60 by Lars Bjorn with Jim Gallert
Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
Murder as a Fine Art by Charles Morrell
Three can keep a secret: a Joe Gunther novel by Archer Mayor
Murder as a fine art by David Morrell
A question of honor by Charles Todd
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. Cecilia Fitzpatrick lives to be perfect: a perfect marriage, three perfect daughters, and a perfectly organized life. Then she finds a letter from her husband, John-Paul, to be opened only in the event of his death. She opens it anyway, and everything she believed is thrown into doubt.
Top items requested by HSHV are:
- Gently used bath towels, small blankets, and small pet beds that can be washed.
- Dog and cat food in the original unopened bag within 3 months after the expiration date.
- Dog and cat food in the original opened bag within 3 months after the expiration date, providing it is free of bugs or rodent waste.
But that is only the tip of the iceberg of the many items that help HVHS care for their residents. For more donation ideas, please visit their website for a complete wish list of items.
As an added bonus, supporting this donation drive will also earn you your CYS Animal Lover On the Scene badge.
- Call the Meeting to Order
- Call to Audience (5 min. maximum)
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of General Meeting Minutes
- Report of the Library Director
- Committee Reports
- Finance Committee
- Unfinished Business and General Orders
- Approval of 5-year engagement with Plante Moran
- New Business
- Confirm timeline to fill vacancy on Library Board
- Michelle Malamis, Executive Director of the Canton Community Foundation, will discuss the benefits of transferring the endowment to the CCF
- Draft 2015 Budget (1st look)
- Proposed revision of Employee Policy Handbook (1st reading)
- Call to Audience (5 min. maximum)
Bringing down Gaddafi: on the ground with the Libyan rebels by Andrei Netto ; translated by Michael Marsden
The month that changed the world: July 1914 by Gordon Martel
The Zhivago affair: the Kremlin, the CIA, and the battle over a forbidden book by Peter Finn and Petra Couvée
Independence: the tangled roots of the American Revolution by Thomas P. Slaughter
""We hold these truths to be self-evident.." The United States as seen through the eyes of six different authors.
American fun: four centuries of joyous revolt by John Beckman
The Smithsonian's History of America in 101 objects by Richard Kurin
Supreme City: how Jazz Age Manhattan gave birth to modern America by Donald L. Miller
The mysterious affair at Styles [large print]: Poirot's first case by Agatha Christie
No man's nightingale [large print] by Ruth Rendell
Pursuit [large print] by Gene Hackman
The pawnbroker [large print] by David and Aimee Thurlo
That old black magic [large print] by Mary Jane Clark
The emedia link on our website offers numerous options to
get eLectrified for the summer. You can earn a Connect Your Summer eLectrified badge by reading a
book, swiping through a magazine, downloading music or streaming TV shows and
movies, all on your device and free through one of our emedia subscriptions. Each app operates on the Kindle Fire, the iPad/iPhone and any Android device (other devices may vary). Take a moment and sign-up for:
hoopla (TV, movies, music, audiobooks)
Overdrive (eBooks and audiobooks)
Get eLectrified today!