So you want to write a memoir to share the stories of your life but you have no idea where or how to start. Does that sound right? If so, you're not alone. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Autobiography vs. memoir: An autobiography is a book about a person's entire life and a memoir is a retelling of a certain time or part in life.
- Choose a significant event to write about: Write about a difficult choice and how you handled it, a lesson you learned, a pivotal moment, etc. It's your life- write about what's important to you.
- Captivate your audience: Be sure to draw your audience in by being as descriptive as possible.
- Writing takes practice: Set a goal for yourself to write every day. The more you write, the better your writing will be.
- Find a trusted person to review: Ask a trusted friend or family member to review and give honest feedback regarding your draft. You could also hire someone to do it for you.
No matter how you end up creating your memoir, enjoy your time writing. Remembering your life and reliving your experiences is a important part of the journey. For more tips and ideas, check out these articles:
Want some more inspiration? Check out this list of great memoirs.