vacation for a few days to be cleaned. They will be back soon to play with their many fans.
[ARTT110 Project One Sketch by BnBGobo99 in licensed under CC by-SA 2.0]
[colored pencils by Mark Lehigh is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0]
Because of my superior location near the New Book shelves, I get first crack at the new items that come in, including the chapter books, the picture books, even nonfiction and biographies. Did you know that a biography is a book about a real person? Today I snuck a new biography about Peter Roget, the person who made Roget’s Thesaurus. Guess what? A thesaurus is not a dinosaur. It’s a list of words, and the ones that mean the same thing are all grouped together. Peter Roget always made lists of things, from when he was a very little boy, and one day those lists became his first thesaurus.You can even browse a version of Roget’s Thesaurus online.
The right word: Roget and his thesaurus by Jen Bryant, author ; Melissa Sweet, illustrator
Find other fascinating stories about real people in the J Biography section at the back of the Children’s Department, or ask a Children's Librarian.
Photo: Zombie! by Daniel Hollister (CC by 2.0)
Photo Creature by Shawn Budemer (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)
Tuesday, November 4 @ 7:00 PM
and my young Jedi, I hope to see you at our program from 2:00 to 3:00 PM on October 11th. We will read an intergalactic story, have a spacey snack, and enjoy a surprise from dear Master Yoda. Registration begins September 25, 2014 and is open to children ages 5 years to 9 years old with a caregiver.
Photo Rory's Story Cubes for StADa by jwordsmith (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)
"Jump into Fall" at our K Club program on Saturday, October 4 from 2:00-2:45 pm. Stories, crafts and a snack will all be centered around pumpkins, leaves and other fall favorites. This program is designed for children ages 4-6.
- You must be in 3rd through 12th grade
- If you're under 12, your parent must remain in the library
- You must bring the assignment and any other needed materials
- Tutoring is on a first come first served basis
- Tutoring sessions will be a half an hour
Days and Times
- Monday from 6:00-8:00 PM by the Teen Desk
- Tuesday from 6:00-8:00 PM by the Teen Desk
- Thursday from 6:00-8:00 PM by the Teen Desk
The first day of tutoring will be Tuesday, October 14th.
This discussion will help participants build literacy skills, as well as their vocabulary and writing skills.
Program Date: September 20, 2:00 PM
ABC Activity Times, September 15-October 25:
- Mondays 10:30-11:00 AM
- Tuesdays 10:30-11:00 AM (Purple Room)
- Tuesdays 7:30-8:00 PM
- Wednesdays 10:30-11:00 AM
- Thursdays 10:30-11:00 AM
- Thursdays 7:30-8:00 PM (Purple Room)
- Fridays 1:30-2:00 PM (Purple Room)
- Saturdays 10:30-11:00 AM (Purple Room)
NOTE: There will be no ABC Activity Time on Monday, October 13. The library will be closed for Columbus Day.
Drop-in Family Storytimes, September 15-October October 25:
- Mondays 10:00-10:30 AM (Community Room)
- Tuesdays 7:00-7:30 PM (Community Room)
- Wednesdays 10:00-10:30 AM (Community Room)
- Thursdays 10:00-10:30 AM (Community Room)
- Thursdays 7:00-7:30 PM (Purple Room)
- Saturdays 10:00-10:30 AM (Purple Room)