Michigan Department of Health & Human Services
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services provides help in numerous ways. Call 517-373-2035 for assistance.
Local offices for Canton zip codes:
- Children’s Services Administration Western Wayne District - Inkster (313) 931-6385
- Wayne County Department of Health and Human Services District Office - Inkster (313) 792-7700
- MI Bridges is a 24/7, secure web portal to access Department of Health and Human Services programs including food assistance (FAP), State Emergency Relief (SER) for energy and non-energy related needs, Medical Assistance (Medicaid), Child Development Care (CDC), and Cash Assistance.
- The Information Center is a private, non-profit organization, comprehensive Information and referral agency dedicated to the national goal of bringing people and services together.
- Michigan Helping Hand helps Michigan citizens facing economic hardship find the services they need.
- United Way 2-1-1 is a multi-lingual, comprehensive information and referral service available 24/7/365. Its database contains after school programs, senior care services, medical and prescription assistance, credit counseling and mortgage foreclosure assistance, and housing and utility resources
The Michigan Energy Assistance Directory, developed by the Coalition to Keep Michigan Warm, provides information on private and public programs that offer energy assistance, as well as a county listing of utilities, programs, and resources available.
Food Stamps and Food Banks
- MDHHS Food Assistance
- Gleaners Community Food Bank — 866-453-2637
- Salvation Army — 877-725-6424
- Food Assistance Program Hotline — 800-481-4989
- Food Banks
- Michigan Department of Education’s Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) helps children in lower-income areas continue to receive nutritious meals when they do not have access to the National School Lunch or School Breakfast Programs.
- First Step crisis line in Wayne County: 734-722-6800
- SafeHouse Center in Washtenaw County: 734-995-5444
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673
- YWCA Interim House in Detroit: 313-861-5300
- Still Standing Against Domestic Violence in Detroit: Survivors of domestic violence seeking help may call 313-744-5697; individuals seeking battering intervention services may call 313-444-3142
Explore resources compiled to help navigate the various Health Insurance Options in Michigan or to locate free or low cost primary care.
Step Forward Michigan — Program operated by MSHDA (Michigan State Housing Development Authority) to help homeowners keep their homes through refinancing. Call toll free at 866-946-7432
Michigan Foreclosure Prevention Project — Collaborative statewide project from the Michigan Poverty Law Program that provides direct legal representation to homeowners facing foreclosure, support to housing counseling organizations, coordinating policy advocacy on a statewide basis, and provides training and technical support. Call 734-615-2450
Making Home Affordable from the Department of the Treasury. Refinance or modify loans to a payment that is affordable now and into the future. Also includes FAQs, payment estimators and lots of other valuable resources. Call toll free: 888-995-HOPE
Hope Now — An alliance between HUD approved housing counselors and mortgage companies that provides free foreclosure prevention assistance. Call toll free 888-995-HOPE
Mortgage Foreclosure Resources for Consumers from the Federal Reserve. Information and links to agencies and organizations that may be able to help consumers
- AnnualCreditReport.com — get your free annual credit report. No strings attached
Maintaining Good Credit
- Federal Trade Commission — Building a Better Credit Report
- Federal Reserve Bureau — Learn five tips to improve your credit score
- Power Pay 5.0 — Power payments are part of a technique often suggested by financial experts to help families and individuals gain control of their consumer debts. This program developed in part by the Utah State University Extension can help you make power payments (you must create a username and password to access).
List of Credit Counseling Agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services — Offers emergency assistance with bills to qualified individuals. Phone: 517-373-2035
- United Way for Southeastern Michigan — Phone: 211