- Call to Order
- Call to Audience
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Report of the Library Director
- Old Business
- Contract for RFID Sorting System (item of action)
- New Business
- Team Canton (item of discussion)
- Liberty Fest parking request from Canton Township (item of action)
- Call to Audience
- The older population (65+) numbered 38.9 million in 2008, an increase of 4.5 million or 13.0% since 1998
- The number of Americans aged 45-64 – who will reach 65 over the next two decades – increased by 31% during this decade
- Over one in every eight, or 12.8%, of the population is an older American
- Persons reaching age 65 have an average life expectancy of an additional 18.6 years (19.8 years for females and 17.1 years for males)
Because I Love Her: 34 Writers Reflect on the Mother-Daughter Bond edited by Andrea N. Richesin
Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free by Charles P. Fierce
The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga of a Donner Party Bride by Daniel James Brown
Losing Mum and Pup: a Memoir by Christopher Buckley
In addition to thanking all of the veterans you know, join the community at the Village Theater at Cherry Hill, which will host a Salute to Service for all area veterans, their families, and supporters this evening at 7:00; doors open at 6:00. This event is sponsored by the Canton Veterans Memorial Association and Canton Township, and is free and open to the public. The Michigan Military Moms will also be on-site collecting items for service men and women who are currently serving our country overseas.
Wind, solar and geothermal are among the most promising methods to generate clean, renewable energy. You can learn more about a clean energy future by reading Hot, Flat and Crowded, by Thomas Friedman, best-selling author and Pulitzer-prize winning columnist from The New York Times.
On September 10, library supporters will rally at the State Capitol in Lansing to encourage legislators to save the Library of Michigan and the important shared statewide resources, such as MeL databases and MeLCat interlibrary loan, that Canton Public Library users value. The rally will start at 9:30AM and supporters are asked to wear red shirts to show their support for statewide joint services.
The Governor's Executive Order dismantles the Department of History, Arts & Libraries and places the services of the Library of Michigan — both physical and online collections — in jeopardy. State funding and federal matching funds for MeLCat interlibrary loan and 25 MeL databases are at stake; due to the local economy and cuts to local funding associated with the recession, the Canton Public Library does not have the funds to pay for interlibrary loan or online genealogical, historical, or reference products if the state legislature does not act to maintain statewide library services — Canton residents would lose access to these resources.
For more information about the event, see the White House Press Release.
- Nancy Goodman Brinker
- Pedro José Greer, Jr. [Wikipedia]
- Stephen Hawking
- Jack Kemp [Wikipedia]
- Sen. Edward Kennedy
- Billie Jean King
- Rev. Joseph Lowery [Wikipedia]
- Joe Medicine Crow – High Bird
- Harvey Milk
- Sandra Day O’Connor
- Sidney Poitier
- Chita Rivera
- Mary Robinson
- Janet Davison Rowley [Wikipedia]
- Desmond Tutu
- Muhammad Yunus