November 25, 2020 | Patton
Get FREE access to online classes and meetups courtesy of the MDHHS Aging and Adult Services Agency. The state agency has teamed up with a website called GetSetUp to help you safely and securely learn new skills and interact with peers over the internet. GetSetUp offers live meetings with older adults from near and far. You can learn things like how to use ZOOM for a family gathering or videochat with other folks about local sports or crafting.
Follow these steps to join the service:
- Make sure you have an email address as well as a camera and microphone on your computer. You can also use a smartphone or a tablet.
- Go to the website getsetup.io/michigan. You should see the MDHHS logo in the right-hand corner.
- Start browsing the classes and meetups. Click the blue "Register Now" button to sign up for a session. You can just sign up for individual sessions or you can create an account to track your activity. You can also sign up to get emails about upcoming classes.
- The majority of classes are free. If you see a class that has a fee, you can enter the coupon code MICHIGANHEALTH to waive the fee for most classes.
- We recommend you start out with the "New Member Orientation" at this web address: getsetup.io/details/new-member-orientation
If you have any questions, there is an email address and toll-free phone number at the top of the GetSetUp webpage. Please take advantage of this fun and innovative service.
November 1, 2017 | madame librarian
Reduce the chance of a fall at home with these tips:
- Clean up clutter.
- Remove throw rugs.
- Use chairs with arms.
- Put grab bars in the bathroom.
- Use good lighting.
- Wear sturdy shoes with good traction.
For more health tips check out our online Health & Wellness Resources
A leading expert in the science of healthy aging, Dr. Eric B. Larson offers practical advice for growing old with resilience and foresight. More than just canned advice, Enlightened Aging proposes a path to resilience--one that's proven to help many stave off disability until very old age. The steps on this path include pro-activity, acceptance, and building and maintaining good physical, mental, and social health.
A workout routine specifically for seniors, performed at a slow, relaxing pace. The chair exercises will increase flexibility, provide a renewed sense of balance and well-being, develop strength, and enhance the ability to function for seniors.
January 11, 2012 | baluchr
As we begin Bee Season, the Visual Thesaurus Spelling Bee is a neat resource to help your student prepare. Spellers are given the definition of a word on screen. A recorded voice pronounces the word (multiple times if needed). Spellers can attempt to spell the word as many times as they like. After the first misspelling, Spelling Bee gives hints to help. Once a a word is spelled correctly (or the speller "gives up") a word map is displayed, given helpful hints to similar words and letter patterns. Try it out today!