The Chairperson, Amy Watts, called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM.
Present: N. Eggenberger, M. Farell, J. Lee, J. Pandit, D. Turner, A. Watts
Also Present: E. Davis, K. Gladden
- CALL TO AUDIENCE (L. Golden, A. Iqbal, D. McHugh, L. McHugh, M. Nicholson, R. Noble, J. Parij, N. Szczepanski) – None
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved by unanimous consent.
- APPROVAL OF GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
The minutes were approved by unanimous consent.
- COMMUNICATIONS — None
- DIRECTOR’S REPORT
We are 58% through the year; Insurance is still trending high, due to premiums having to be paid in the first quarter. This will fall in line as the year progresses.
Canton Township has sued Wayne County to remove from the tax rolls delinquencies which they deem uncollectable. As the library is an affected taxing authority, we were sent a copy of the lawsuit. As our portion is only $4500, the lawyer recommended that we not make an objection to Canton Township’s filing.
A new online tutoring service, Brainfuse, was launched this month on the library website.
The library’s ongoing plumbing problem has been identified as a failing pipe. The floor in the copier alcove in the staff area will have to be sawcut so that plumbers can replace the pipe, fill in with aggregate and re-concrete the floor. Work on this project will begin on Friday, August 23rd.
The staff picnic is Tuesday, August 20th; the Friends’ Education Award scholarships will be announced at noon. Board members who have not yet RSVPed to Kathie Gladden should do so before August 16th.
There is money in the budget for board members to attend the Michigan Library Association (MLA) annual conference in Novi in mid-October. Trustees may attend one, two or all three days of the conference.
The tentative ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Story Trail is Wednesday, September 11th at 5:00 PM.
Cobalt Community Research – the firm who did the most recent SEMCOG survey – was selected at the August 13 Canton Township Board of Trustees meeting to perform the joint township/library community survey. Director Eva Davis and Community Relations Department Head Laurie Golden will meet with representatives from Cobalt and Canton Leisure Services in the next few weeks.
- TRUSTEE COMMENTS — Trustee Michelle Farell remarked that her experience of the MLA annual conference was that it offered even more sessions pertinent to trustee issues than other workshops the board members had attended.
- COMMITTEE REPORTS — None
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS & GENERAL ORDERS
- August 2019 Budget Amendment — Co-Chair Nancy Eggenberger moved and M. Farell supported a motion to amend the 2019 Capital Outlay budget and 2019 Use of Fund Balance to include a boiler system replacement by ENGIE Services.
The motion passed unanimously, 19/8-15-1
- (Draft) 2020 Budget & 2021-2022 Projections (2nd look) — The board voiced no objections to the minor changes made to the initial budget.
- NEW BUSINESS
2020 Schedule of Board Meetings & Library Closures — M. Farell will be unable to attend the June 25th meeting. The board members will bring their personal calendars to the September General Meeting and will vote on the calendar at that time.
- CALL TO AUDIENCE – None
The meeting was adjourned at 7:51 PM.