Catalog

Search our Catalog

Book Recommendation Websites

11 replies [Last post]
Danielle
Participant
Danielle's picture

I'm always looking for great new websites that I can use to find book recommendations. One of my favorites is BookBrowse. The main page of the website starts you right off with pictures and reviews of popular books. They have some great search features of course, but I rarely need to go much further than the first page. Does anyone else have a favorite website for book recommendations?

Brad Czerniak
Administrator
Brad Czerniak's picture

One trick I use is to search our database Novelist for my favorite authors. It then provides "readalikes," which are authors that share similar characteristics.
LibraryThing provides similar functionality, along with tons of other features for keeping track of your reading preferences. Our library's catalog draws in data from LibraryThing, so the "Related Items" section on any item page is a good place to look. We'll be adding cover images to this soon, to make it more Amazon-like.

Danielle
Participant
Danielle's picture

Thanks! I'll try them out Smile

Anne Heidemann
Contributor
Anne Heidemann's picture

Another site I just found recently is Bookarmy, which claims that by using it, you'll never read a bad book again. I haven't used it enough yet to confirm or deny that, but it seems worth a look.

Danielle
Participant
Danielle's picture

Thank you! I just checked it out and it seems like a great site!

joy_buch
Participant

I AM VISITOR FROM INDIA. I HAVE VISITED CANTON PUBLICLIBRARY

TWO TIMES IN ONE MONTH. BOTH OF US ME AND MY WIFE DR.BAKULABUCH

ARE REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THE INTERNATIONAL COLLECTIONS.WE READ

ABOUT 10 BOOKS IN GUJARATI. AUTHORS FROM OUR NATIVELAND OF BHUJ

KUTCH. OBLIGED THANKS

cpl_admin
Administrator
cpl_admin's picture

A new site that came through my RSS reader from Swiss Army Librarian is BookSeer, which is about as simple of a recommendation site as they come.

Danielle
Participant
Danielle's picture

Thank you! That's pretty cool Smile

joyce52
Participant

Try Readers Advisory Link Farm It has links to publisher's websites, read-a-likes, reader's guides, genre sites...

joyce52
Participant

Try Readers Advisory Link Farm. It has links to publisher's websites, read-a-likes, reader's guides, genre sites...

Danielle
Participant
Danielle's picture

Thank you! There's a ton of stuff there Smile

dskop
Participant

I used the Novelist readalikes to find some books for my husband and found two new authors he really likes! Thanks for the info.