Catalog

Search our Catalog

Best Star Trek Film

3 replies [Last post]
Brad Czerniak
Administrator
Brad Czerniak's picture

I've heard that the even-numbered Star Treks are supposed to be better than the odd-numbered ones, though this theory doesn't hold up in my mind:

• The Motion Picture was a snoozefest
  • Wrath of Khan = awesome
  • Search for Spock = underrated. Spoiler alert: they trick a bunch of Klingons onto the Enterprise, self-destruct it, then commandeer a Bird of Prey! Heck yeah!
  • Voyage Home = stupid. Random probe inexplicably disables all the futuristic technology, and for some reason the only terrestrial thing it can communicate with is a humpback whale? What? And apparently going really fast around the Sun slingshots you into time travel -- how come they don't do this more often, like sending a battle fleet to Wolf 359. Don't talk to me about the Temporal Prime Directive -- ST:IV was awful.
  • The Final Frontier, if nothing else, raises some questions about the nature of the Star Trek universe. Apparently it's quite difficult to leave the galaxy or go to its center. Shouldn't there be a supermassive black hole there? For that matter, how do you lay out a non-uniformely-rotating 3-dimensional spiral into quadrants? How come this is the first time we've heard about this half brother chap? Confusing, yes -- entertaining, kinda.
  • Undiscovered Country = In my mind, Kirk lost in negotiations with the Klingons by notably invoking Godwin's Law in an early scene. It all went downhill from there. If you like Shyamalan-esque predictable plot twists, this film is for you
  • Generations = awesome
  • First Contact = awesome
  • Insurrection = meh. w2g Picard tho
  • Nemesis = what's the deal with the Doctor Evil Reman Picard guy? LAME

I have high hopes for the new Star Trek film coming out this week. What do you think?

Anne Heidemann
Contributor
Anne Heidemann's picture

Nice enumeration of the ST films, Brad! I'm with you on most of them. I am all about the new Trek - so, so awesome! Saw it twice opening weekend, in fact, and it totally stands up to repeat viewings. Instant classic!

strande
Participant
strande's picture

I also went to see it and totally enjoyed it! I thought they blended new movie technology really well with the general Star Trek style - way better integration than the newer Star Wars movies. It's enough to make me check out some of the older movies or TV shows that I never watched because my young self thought I was too cool.

Anne Heidemann
Contributor
Anne Heidemann's picture

If you haven't seen it, check out the Wrath of Khan! It's my all-time favorite Star Trek flick.