June 15, 2020 | jonesw
Today is a great day to love the planet! Respecting the Earth today ensures that we have a beautiful place to call home in the future. Use the resources and ideas below to learn about upcycling, lowering your waste, sustainable fashion, and more!
Love Your Earth for Kids
- Try upcycling! Upcycling means taking old things that might be thrown away and making them into something new. Find upcycling ideas in a book or try one of these 20 projects from 5-Minute Crafts PLAY on YouTube.
- Plant flowers by making DIY seed balls from recycled paper.
- Make recycling fun! Decorate your recycling bins or have a contest to see which family member recycles the most in a week.
- Love your Earth up close by taking a nature walk. Use a journal to record what you see, hear, and discover outside.
Love Your Earth for Adults
- Don't let an old tin can or t-shirt go to waste! Check out a book about upcycling or get inspired with projects from DIY Network.
- The fashion industry produces millions of tons of clothing waste every year, along with using 2% of all freshwater extraction globally. Consider greening your closet and learning more about the fashion industry.
- Consider making some simple swaps in your day-to-day life to reduce your waste.
- Make your own cleaning supplies with ingredients you have at home and ensure that your home is clean and natural. We've collected a few simple recipes to try today!
More Ways to Love Your Earth
- Discover how organizations like Greenpeace, the Environmental Defense Fund, and the Sierra Club are working to protect the planet. Consider a donation or simply learn about the work these non-profits are doing.
Your carbon footprint is a measure of the greenhouse gas emissions that your household produces. Use the EPA's Carbon Footprint Calculator and follow their tips to reduce your emissions.
Head back to the 62 Days of Summer home page for more ways to participate in the summer program!