June 15, 2020 | obrienbc
Hiking has many benefits. Along with the sun warming your face, the sound of the wind in the trees and the beauty of nature, hiking is good for your health. You not only get physical exercise but also emotional and mental relief enjoying the great outdoors. So lace up your hiking boots, gather your family and discover the abundance of trails and parks in Canton and the great state of Michigan.
For more ways to participate in the summer program head back to the 62 Ways to do 62 Days page.
State Parks - Maybury, Isand Lake Recreation Area, Proud Lake Recreation Area, etc.
Metroparks - Dexter-Huron, Delhi, Hudson Mills, Kensington, etc.
Hiking Activities – All ages
Trail Games – Be Outdoors Appalachian Mt. Club
Things to Do on a Hike - American Hiking Society
Fun Activities for Hikers - liveaboutdotcom
Trail Mix 4 Ways- BuzzFeed Nifty
Healthy Granola Bars – Cooking Foodie
10 Great Snacks to Take on Hikes – epicurious
Hike along with five of our favorite Hoopla titles for Adults
- Hike Smart (ebook) -Are you a first-timer about to take your inaugural trek? Are you veteran hiker looking to be even more efficient when enjoying the sport you love? Are you someone in between? Then look no further than expert trekker Ann Brown's Hike Smart, the definitive guide to efficient and enjoyable hiking for all levels of experience.
- Epic Hikes of the World (ebook) - With stories of 50 incredible hiking routes in 30 countries, from New Zealand to Peru, plus a further 150 suggestions, Lonely Planet's Epic Hikes of the World will inspire a lifetime of adventure on foot. From one-day jaunts and urban trails to month-long thru-hikes, cultural rambles and mountain expeditions, each journey shares one defining feature: being truly epic.
- Hiking and Backpacking (ebook) -Hiking & Backpacking: Essential Skills to Advanced Techniques provides backpackers of all skill levels with the fundamental techniques and advanced tricks of trail-smithing needed to plan and carry out an enjoyable and rewarding outdoor adventure.
- Ann Arbor and Detroit (ebook) -Each hike features an individual trail map, elevation profile, and at-a-glance information, helping you quickly find the perfect trip. The book's detailed trail descriptions will help you find yourr way on and off the trail. Driving directions and GPS trailhead coordinates will help with navigating the myriad of unnamed roads. The trails covered range from those best suited to the novice, families, experienced hikers, or backpackers.
- Outdoor Activities (audiobook) -Do you yearn for an adventure in the great outdoors? Does camping and hiking appeal to you? Do you need some good advice before you start? The lure of fresh air, beautiful scenery and sparsely populated expanses is something that is hard to resist. Add to that the fun exercise we get from outdoor pursuits and it all goes towards being a great day out or weekend away.
Finding Your Way- Brain Games on National Geographic
Read about Two Michigan high school students who developed virtual hikes for the disabled. Trek along with them on their Hikes.
Nicole Bloom Memorial Trail, Eagle Harbor, MI - 5 minutes
Potato Chip Rock, Poway, CA - 7 minutes
Bryce Canyon, Bryce National Park, Utah - 1 hr 25 minutes
James Irvine Trail, Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, CA - 54 minutes
South Kaibab Trail, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ - 2 hours