August 18, 2020 | taramscott
Experience the Roaring '20s with Jazz hits, classical music, and standards that helped define the decade. Music is available on Hoopla or Alexander Street Press for immediate enjoyment, or available by request on CD. We've also created a Spotify playlist of twenties tunes to stream now!
The Jazz Age
Listen to an overview of music from the 1920s, also known as the Jazz Age or the Roaring Twenties. If you're interested in learning the history of Jazz, check out the Ken Burns documentary, Jazz, available on DVD.
Listen to music from some of the great names in Jazz who were making music in the 1920s.
- Louis Armstrong of New Orleans available on Hoopla
- Irving Berlin Song Book with songs performed by Fred Astaire, Ethel Waters, Boswell Sisters, Tommy Dorsey And His Orchestra, Al Jolson, and more. Available through Alexander Street Press
- Duke Ellington
- George Gershwin
- "Empress of the Blues" vocalist Bessie Smith
Many songs from musicals written in the 1920s remain familiar today, particularly those written by brothers George and Ira Gershwin. It's possible you may recognize a song or two from other musicals of the '20s as well.
- Selections from musicals by George and Ira Gershwin
- George Gershwin musical excerpts available through Alexander Street Press
- Fascinating rhythm: the Broadway Gershwin 1919-1933 available on CD
- The New Moon (1928) with music by Sigmund Romberg. Book and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II, Frank Mandel, and Laurence Schwab.
- Show Boat (1927) available on CD and through Hoopla, with music by Jerome Kern and book and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II. This musical was based on the 1926 novel, Show Boat by Edna Ferber
- The Threepenny Opera was originally from Germany, written by Bertolt Brecht (1928), and was later adapted into English by Gifford Cochran and Jerrold Krimsky (1931).