Spring is here and Southeast Michigan is bursting with things to do. Let yourself be inspired by the new leaves and bulbs and try something unexpected. Use our list of upcoming events and destinations to spring into action and celebrate getting through winter.
Spring Into Athletics
April weather is unpredictable in Michigan, but that won’t stop spring sports. Whether you want to watch sports or participate yourself, you can find something to do this spring. These athletic events require registration or tickets.
- Learn to Play Pickleball – Learn the basics of pickleball at the Summit on the Park. While this sport can be played by all ages, this class is only for adults. Check it out on April 3, 2023 at 12:15 PM (ages 18 and up).
- Tigers Opening Home Game – Catch the first home game for the Detroit Tigers on April 6, 2023.
- Adult Softball League – Join an adult softball league through Canton Leisure Services. Leagues play double headers on either Sunday, Monday, Wednesday or Thursday nights. Check here specifically for information on being a “free agent” looking to join an established team. The league runs from April 16-June 4, 2023).
- Run/Walk a 5k in Wayne County – There are nine 5k races in Wayne County during the month of April. Some support organizations while others are for fun. Whether you support PH1LL or want to dress up as an alien, participating in a 5k is a great reason to leave the house.
- Run/Walk a 5k in Washtenaw County – There are nine 5k races in Washtenaw County during the month of April. While many are just for fun, some support local organizations like Dawn Farms. Can’t make it in person? A lot of races have a virtual option.
Spring Into Knowledge
Spring is a great time to start fresh and learn something new. Build your skills this spring with a workshop or learn about the people and world around you. You’ll be sure to find something, whether you’re just looking for an activity to do or want to hone a skill. Most events require registration and aren’t free, so be sure to plan ahead.
- The Novi Home and Garden Show – Spring is the perfect time to start a garden or work on your home. There’s no better time to find inspiration and tips than at the Novi Home and Garden Show. The show will take place on March 31, 2023 at 2:00 PM and from April 1-2, 2023 at 10:00 AM.
- Beginner or Intermediate Chess – Do you want to learn how to play chess but don’t know where to start? Canton Leisure Services has you covered. Beginners will learn the basics of chess on Wednesdays from April 5-May 10, 2023 at 5:30 PM (ages 7 and up). Intermediate players focus on practical game and competition on Wednesdays, April 5-May 10, 2023 at 6:30 PM (ages 7 and up).
- Walt Before Mickey – Disney fans have the opportunity to learn more about their favorite creator in this two-part series. These classes are run by a Walt Disney biographer and focus on his early films before the Disney we know today existed. Check it out on April 17 and 24, 2023 at 7:00 PM (ages 7 and up).
- Nocturnal Adventures – Join the Detroit Zoo for a tour of the zoo at dusk to take a look at animals you might not see during the day. Dinner and hot chocolate are included at this event on April 14, 2023 at 5:30 PM.
- Bird Collage Workshop – Based on each month’s exhibition, the Gallery at Cherry Hill offers a special art workshop for adults. This month you will draw, cut, glue and paint a beautiful bird collage. The workshop will occur on April 19, 2023 at 6:00 PM (ages 18 and up).
- Culture & Cuisine – Canton is in the midst of a “Culture & Cuisine” event series to give residents the opportunity to learn about the religions and cultures in our community. April’s experience on April 28, 2023 at 6:00 PM focuses on the Sikh faith.
- Religion Course Survey of the Bible – During the month of April you’ll be able to attend a free class with a professor from the University of Michigan/Dallas Theological Seminary on the history and content of the Bible. Check it out on Thursdays at 7:00 PM.
Spring Into the Theatre
Prepare to be entertained by local and traveling artists. Stay in Canton or take a drive downtown to catch these performers. There is a wide variety of performances happening this month. Whether you’re taking your whole family to see Bluey or taking in an opera there is something for everyone.
- Dave Landau – Comedian Dave Landau got his start in Detroit and now he’s a co-host of the conservative talk show Louder with Crowder. Catch him at the Village Theatre on April 8, 2023 at 7:30 PM (ages 18 and up).
- Fountain of Tears – The Detroit Opera is hosting this Spanish opera about love, loss, poetry, music, dance, war and the power of memory. English subtitles will be provided. Performances are on April 8, 2023 at 7:30 PM, April 14, 2023 at 7:30 PM, and April 16, 2023 at 2:30 PM.
- The Weight Band – The Weight Band presents a dynamic set of classic Americana that draws upon roadhouse rock, funky swamp pop, blues, country soul and folk music. They’ll be performing at the Village Theatre on April 15, 2023 at 7:30 PM.
- An Evening with David Sedaris – David Sedaris is coming to Detroit on April 19, 2023 at 7:30 PM. He will share new readings and recollections as well as host a Q&A session after the show.
- Bluey’s Big Play – The Heelers are coming to Detroit, and you won’t want to miss your opportunity to see an all-new story on stage. The performances run from April 21-23, 2023 at various times.
- Catch Me If You Can – The Spotlight Players are a very talented group of local actors, and they’re taking you on a wild ride in Catch Me If You Can. Based on the hit movie (which was based on a memoir), you’ll watch Frank take on the feds as he jumps between careers and cashes bad checks. Performances run from April 21-23 and April 28-30, 2023 at various times.
- Annie – Tomorrow! Tomorrow! Well actually, you can catch the play in Detroit over the course of a week from April 25-30, 2023, times vary.
- The State Ballet of Georgia – This is not the ballet from the state of Georgia, but the country’s world-class ballet company. You do not want to miss the opportunity to see professional ballerinas in person. Performances are on April 29, 2023 at 7:30 PM and April 30, 2023 at 2:30 PM.
Spring Off the Couch
Spring is a time of renewal and presents a wonderful opportunity to get outside. Whether you want to help the environment while enjoying the great outdoors or are looking to take a simple stroll for fresh air, you have options. Most of these events are great for experiencing the natural world with your family.
- Spring Bug Hunt – Join the Friends of the Rouge for a citizen scientist bug hunt. Children 8 years old and up must be accompanied by an adult. Check out the bug hunt on April 15, 2023 at 10:00 AM (ages 8 and up).
- Belle Isle Cleanup – Help keep Belle Isle the “Beautiful Island” by participating in a public cleanup. Kayakers can bring their kayaks to help clean up plastic from the canal. This family-friendly event will take place on April 22, 2023 at 9:30 AM.
- Take a Hike – Southeast Michigan has many beautiful parks for you to explore. Take in the fresh spring growth at your own pace.
- Daffodils in Detroit – You never know how Michigan’s weather will affect the spring flowers, but once you see some yellow daffodils in your neighborhood, you should get Downtown. Last year the City of Detroit planted over 5 million daffodil bulbs. You won’t want to miss it.
Spring with the Whole Family
Your family might be getting restless after winter. The best cure for restlessness is to get out and do something together. Take a trip to the Henry Ford Museum to solve a mystery with the Mystery Gang or stay local and take an art class with your little one. There are so many cool opportunities to experience together.
- Scooby-Doo! Mansion Mayhem – Solve the mystery in this immersive exhibit at the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation. The exhibit ends on April 9, 2023.
- Disney Animation: Immersive Experience – Disney lovers of all ages will enjoy this amazing experience brought to you by the Lighthouse ArtSpace Detroit. Literally surround yourself in the worlds, music and stories of Disney Animation. This event takes place on various days and times in April.
- KidCreate Tickle Monster – Bring your toddler or preschooler to the Summit on the Park for a silly art class on April 1, 2023 at 9:30 AM (ages 18 months to 6 years old).
- Bunny Breakfast – Enjoy strolling entertainment and a visit and picture with your favorite furry egg-toting friend. During the breakfast, kids can visit with the Bunny and create a bunny craft. All children will receive a holiday souvenir, crayons and a placemat. This event takes place on April 1, 2023 at 9:00 AM.
- National All Things Detroit Day – Visit the Eastern Market in Downtown Detroit for a day of food, shopping, music and celebration as more than 250 Detroit businesses share their talents with your family on April 2, 2023 at 10:00 AM.
- Bunny Munch – The Easter Bunny is coming to Canton for a special night of treat-making for you and your family. Get your Easter family photo as you make a yummy treat on April 3, 2023 at 6:00 PM.
- Family First: Visible Together – Parents and teens will learn basic concepts about 2SLGBTQIA+ identity and experience through workshops in this free program. Aspects of the workshop will be done together, but there will be times when the teens and adults work separately. This event takes place on April 15, 2023 at 1:00 PM (ages 14 and up).
- Music with Joy – Get creative with your toddler during this music and movement course. In addition to songs, you will also get to play with instruments, bubbles and more. Check it out on Saturdays from April 15-May 20, 2023 at 9:30 AM (ages 18 months to 4 years old).
- Parent to Parent Sale – If you want to sell some of your child-related clutter, be sure to register for a booth at the Summit’s Parent to Parent sale. This is a great opportunity to get new supplies and talk to other parents on April 22, 2023 at 8:00 AM.
- Spring Fling – This special Spring Fling dance has a theme—Pirates and Princesses. While the dance is a celebration of Mother’s Day, it is not limited to mothers and children. Check it out on April 29, 2023 at 2:00 PM or 6:00 PM.