Looking for Tax Forms?
The library has the following 2022 tax materials available:
- IRS 1040 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return form
- IRS 1040-SR U.S. Tax Return for Seniors
- IRS 1040/1040-SR instruction booklets
- MI 1040 Individual Income Tax forms and instructions
For additional tax materials, please speak with one of our reference librarians.
- Click here for the IRS forms, instructions and publications.
- Click here for more information on the State of Michigan taxes (including city income tax forms).
Do you need assistance with filing your taxes?
AARP Tax-Aide Locator – AARP Foundation's Tax-Aide provides in-person and virtual tax assistance free of charge with a special focus on taxpayers who are over 50 or have low-to-moderate income. Tax-Aide volunteers are located nationwide and are trained and IRS-certified every year.
Accounting Aid Society – Free tax preparation for families and individuals with an annual household income of up to $58,000. Call 313-556-1920 or go online to see if you qualify and schedule an appointment. Appointments are required. To prepare for your appointment, make sure you bring the necessary documentation.
Canton Township – AARP volunteers will no longer be offering tax services at Canton Township. In order to better serve their clients, they are consolidating their tax preparations sites to offer a wider range of expertise at each of their locations. Call 1-888-687-2277 or visit www.aarp.org for more information.
IRS Tax Return Preparation for Qualifying Taxpayers – The IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals. VITA sites offer free tax help to people who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns, including:
- People who generally make $58,000 or less
- Persons with disabilities
- Limited English-speaking taxpayers
- Seniors who are 60 years of age and older
To find a VITA and TCE provider near you, check the tax prep locator.
United Way of Southeast Michigan - Refer to the United Way website to:
- Find out if you qualify.
- Take advantage of easy appointment scheduling with IRS-certified tax experts at Accounting Aid Society and Wayne Metro, at no cost to you.
- Answers to your common tax questions.
Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency – Wayne Metro provides free tax preparation services to residents of Wayne County and surrounding communities with an annual household income of up to $57,000. Call 313-388-9799 or 734-284-6999, or you can go online to schedule an appointment.
For more locations and services, check the IRS's Tax Return Preparation Locator.