- The Chairperson, Michelle Farell, called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM.
Present: Nancy Eggenberger, Michelle Farell, Jasmine Lee, Jane Pandit, Don Turner, Amy Watts
Also Present: E. Davis, K. Gladden
- CALL TO AUDIENCE (M. Coughlin, M. Crowther, L. Golden, R. Havenstein-Coughlin, P. Jenkins, D. McHugh, M. Nicholson, K. Powers, M. Swartz, N. Szczepanski) - None
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved by unanimous consent.
- APPROVAL OF GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
The minutes were approved by unanimous consent.
- COMMUNICATIONS — None
- DIRECTORS REPORT — Business Services Department Head Marian Nicholson hired Michael Weslin to be one of the Building Monitors; he will start April 30.
- TRUSTEE COMMENTS — Board Chair Michelle Farell and Trustee Nancy Eggenberger attended the Public Library Association (PLA) annual conference, held in Philadelphia in March. Chair Farell was impressed by the presentation she saw of Kanopy, an on-demand streaming video service for public libraries and educational institutions that provides library patrons with access to a large collection of indie films and documentaries. Trustee Eggenberger had spoken with the Overdrive representative regarding issues she has with the service.
- COMMITTEE REPORTS — None
- OLD BUSINESS — None
- NEW BUSINESS
- 2017 Audit Report — Michael Swartz, Melanie Crowther and Kaitlyn Powers of Plante Moran
presented highlights of the 2017 Financial Report to the Board. The library once again received an
“unmodified” opinion and generally was following all accepted accounting principles. Swartz stated that the library was doing “everything they should be doing, and more than most.” The financial records were in great shape. In all, he said, it was a very clean audit.
- Accept 2017 Audit Report as Presented — Trustee Eggenberger complimented the staff for the clean audit.
J. Pandit moved and N. Eggenberger supported a motion to approve the proposal to accept the 2017 Audit Report as presented.
The motion passed unanimously 18/4-19-1
- Approve 1st Quarter Budget Amendment as Presented
N. Eggenberger moved and J. Lee supported a motion to approve the 1st Quarter Budget Amendment as presented.
The motion passed unanimously 18/4-19-2
- Future Library Operations — Chair Farell discussed technology systems designed to complement the core staffed hours by extending opening times, which she had learned about at PLA. Such systems have mostly been utilized at satellite branches of large library systems. The board analysed the data presented and reviewed possible options, and elected to retain the current library opening hours.
- 2019 Budget Discussion: Library Materials — The board’s previously expressed desire for the library to achieve “Excellent” status in the Library of Michigan’s Quality Services Audit Checklist (QSAC) would require an increase in library expenditures on materials to equal 15% of the annual budget. After discussion with Information Services Department Head Rebecca Havenstein-Coughlin regarding the possibility and desirability of increasing the materials budget to that extent, the board directed that the 2019 materials budget should reflect a number that the staff feels would be operationally sound, not to exceed 15% of the operations budget.
- CALL TO AUDIENCE – R. Havenstein-Coughlin expressed her thanks to the board for their support during her recent illness.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:01 PM.