The Chairperson, Michelle Farell, called the meeting to order at 7:43 PM.
Present: Nancy Eggenberger, Michelle Farell, Jane Pandit, Don Turner, Amy Watts
Absent: Jasmine Lee
Also Present: E. Davis, K. Gladden
- CALL TO AUDIENCE (R. Fairchild, K. Hedrick, D. McHugh, M. Nicholson, R. Noble, N. Szczepanski, K. Young) – None
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved by unanimous consent.
- APPROVAL OF GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
The minutes were approved by unanimous consent.
- COMMUNICATIONS — None
- DIRECTORS REPORT — The library is 66% of the way through 2018, as of August 31st. State Aid to Libraries and interest income received raised the revenue to over 100%; this will be addressed in the 3rd Quarter Budget Amendment in October. Due to payments made earlier in the year, Insurance and Capital Outlay are still trending higher but will fall in line as the year progresses; all other expenditures are generally in line. The board will vote on the 4th Quarter Budget Amendment at the December meeting, and will also have a vote to move money from the Fund Balance to cover expenditures from the 2018 staff area construction project.
Rebecca Havenstein-Coughlin’s retirement reception for the public has been tentatively scheduled for Sunday, October 21st from 2-4 PM.
- TRUSTEE COMMENTS — Trustee Nancy Eggenberger may miss the October board meeting, as well as the Michigan Library Association conference.
- COMMITTEE REPORTS — Chair Michelle Farell confirmed that she was in receipt of director Eva Davis’ self-evaluation, as well as a few evaluations from library staff members. The Director’s Evaluation Committee will meet on October 1st.
- OLD BUSINESS
- 2019 Calendar of Board Meetings and Holiday Closures (2nd Reading) — N. Eggenberger moved and D. Turner supported a motion to accept the 2019 Calendar as presented.
The motion passed unanimously 18/9-20-1
- NEW BUSINESS
- Presentation by Engie Services — Ken Hedrick and Rob Fairchild of Engie Services, an independent energy efficiency consulting company, explained how they could work with us to evaluate and prioritize replacement projects for our major mechanical and building fixtures.
Board approval is needed to proceed with a study for this project. Since Secretary/Treasurer Jasmine Lee was
not present at the meeting, the board agreed to carry the discussion forward to the October meeting.
- Wage and Salary Discussion for 2020 and Beyond — After briefly discussing the Salary and Salary and Fringes graphs supplied by Business Services Department Head Marian Nicholson, the board agreed to dig more deeply into the subject at a meeting in early 2019.
- Overview of 2019 Capital Projects — Some of the items on the document supplied to the board were facilities-related placeholders on the master capital replacement spreadsheet. Also planned are a renovation of the Sorting Room; improvements to the Friends’ donation area; and replacement of the Pedigrid walk-off carpet in the lobby.
- CALL TO AUDIENCE – None
The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 PM.