July 17, 2008 | cpl_admin
The meeting was called to order by the Chairman, James Gillig, at 7:29 p.m.
Present: J. Fausone, J. Gillig, C. Van Auken, N. Williams
Absent:G. Snow, C. Young
Also Present: E. Davis, S. Rzetelny
CALL TO AUDIENCE
No comments. (R. Havenstein-Coughlin, A. Heidemann, C. McLaughlin, L. Papa, Don Turner)
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved as presented.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Minutes of the June 12th meeting were approved as submitted.
- Betty Mulder, a patron using the homebound delivery and one who also sent a recent thank you note to the board, was so appreciative of the program she made a donation to the library.
REPORT OF THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR
- Summer Reading continues to exceed expectations. Record numbers of participants have registered with just under 1,000 adults and almost 5,000 children, tweens & teens registered. The circulation statistics support these record numbers with the library still on target for our l millionth checked out item next week.
- The Friends Annual Meeting and Potluck Supper is scheduled for Wednesday, July 30th in the library community room. Please contact Marcia Barker if you are able to attend.
- The Library Network is seeking nominations for an open seat on the TLN Board. This is a three-year commitment and nominees do not need to be Canton residents.
- Library Cooperative directors are working on their long term goal of securing consistent funding for all classes of libraries. A committee has been formed including representation from library associations, cooperatives, and consortia. This coordinated effort should provide one voice to our legislators on the need for equitable funding.
- A search warrant was served for the computer used in last month's incident which violated our Computing Resources Policy. The case has been forwarded to the Michigan State Police.
- A notice from representatives of HBO films was received regarding an illegal upload of an HBO file to a file sharing website. The incident was traced to the Library's public wireless network. This is a clear violation of our Computing Resources Policy and has been referred to our attorney for response. L. Papa stated that several other Metro Net libraries were also contacted by HBO. Trustee Fausone questioned the need to respond to these notices if this type of violation continues.
- Eva spoke with Eric Hess of Jungle Java Express and he is willing to reimburse the library for the recent exterminator expense. He plans to meet with Eva on Tuesday, July 22, to discuss operations at JJX. He will also plan to attend the August meeting and next month's agenda will include discussion of the commission waiver. JJX provided a Profit & Loss Statement inclusive of April 07 through May 08 which Trustee Fausone stated did not provide enough insight to determine if the waiver and other adjustments are effective in aiding JJX's bottom line.
- Job postings have been issued to replace children's librarian, Nichole Hoover. We hope to have a replacement on board in September.
- The spotlight has been installed to illuminate the sculpture at the library entrance.
- The Friends met today for their annual strategic planning meeting. Eva attended and discussed potential projects for 2009. The Friends indicated they may be willing to contribute to the community room upgrade.
- Roof Replacement Update - A few items remain on the punch list. When the punch list items are completed, and the manufacturer's warranty, contractor's warranty and waiver of lien have been obtained, the final payment for the roofing project will be made. PSI recommends we conduct a moisture survey to see how the roof is performing. They recommend this be within five years - on early end of the 15 year manufacturer's warranty.
- Discussion of 2009 Board Goals - Trustee Fausone expects to see reductions in the 2009 operating budget to correspond with the expected reduction in SEV. He also stated his desire to reduce the millage rate in the future. Eva requested clarification of the Board's preference to maintain current programs and improvements versus identifying areas to reduce expenditures. Trustee Fausone urged all board members and library staff to review the goals and evaluate what is essential.
- 2nd Quarter Budget Proposed Budget Amendment - Revisions due to reclassification of expenses due to recently adopted Capitalization Policy.
N. Williams moved and J. Fausone supported a motion to approve the 2nd Quarter 2008 Budget Amendment.
The motion passed unanimously 6/08-17-1
- Chairman Gillig distributed the Board's Mission and Objective Statement along with Bylaws, Rules of Governance and Board Policies for review by Trustees.
CALL TO AUDIENCE
Meeting was adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
Dr. James Gillig - Chairman