May is Older Americans Month and the focus is on getting strong to live long. So why not join the Senior Wii Bowling league on May 4, 2010 in the library's Community Room? For additional information call Marcia Barker at (734) 397-0999 x1079.
Well, hockey fans, we have made it to Round 2 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Wasn't really sure we would get there, based on how the Red Wings played at the end of the season, but very glad to see it happened. In other hockey news, the Pittsburgh Penguins have also raced into Round 2 of the Playoffs. Will these two teams meet up in the finals? I know that my nails will be bitten off in anticipation. Check out the Red Wings and Penguins websites for updates and tickets! Go Peng-wings! (I do have divided loyalites, after all!)
The Tigers are back at Comerica Park for a six game home-stretch beginning with Friday's home opener against the Cleveland Indians. Michigan native and comedian Tim Allen will throw one of the first ceremonial pitches along with servicemen representing each branch of the military. Game time 1:05pm. Go Get'Em Tigers!!
The Michigan State Spartans are one of the "Elite Eight" in the NCAA Men's College Basketball Championships. Watch the 2010 Midwest Regional Final between Michigan State and Tennessee on Sunday March 28th as the Spartans look to advance to their sixth Final Four in the last 12 years. Tip time set for 2:20 pm ET on CBS.
Photo courtesy of AP Images
- Slate magazine shows what it would be like if famous filmmakers 'directed' the Super Bowl [via kottke]
- Freakonomics Blog at NYT ponders what it would be like to play football without a helmet, among other amusing things
- Mental Floss tests your knowledge of the Bud Bowl in their latest lunchtime quiz
- Lifehacker suggests using baking powder to make restaurant-quality wings at home
- The Onion covers the Super Bowl the way only they can
- Macworld gives some pointers for setting up your HDTV for the Super Bowl and Olympics
- Macworld also collected a list of great Super Bowl-related iPhone & iPod Touch apps
- Cooking Light presents a Super Bowl menu makeover that looks quite appetizing
Football for dummies, 3rd edition by Howie Long, John Czarnecki
The ultimate Super Bowl book : a complete reference to the stats, stars, and stories behind football's biggest game-- and why the best team won by Bob McGinn ; foreword by Michael MacCambridge
Hey sports fans! Let's take a hockey break for a moment and revel in the world of football for a moment. Super Bowl XLIV is coming fast and furious to the South Florida area. If you get the chance to go, pack a swimsuit and some sunscreen as the weather there will be beachy keen. Get your tickets and root for either the Colts or the Saints. Sorry Lions, maybe next year! I am rooting for the Saints as this is their first Super Bowl appearance ever and also because they are a symbol of hope for the New Orleans area. Here's hoping they bring home the trophy.
Also, check out Mr. Foster's Books if you can't see him in person.
Canton ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White are featured in Saturday's New York Times. Read about their international success and bid for Olympic gold in Vancouver!