Volunteers, or citizen scientists, from all over the nation (yes this means you too!) are needed to help gather information and data on climate change. The USA-National Phenology Network will use these observations, like the flowering of plants and when trees fruit, to understand how climate change is effecting seasonal cycles and therefore human life.
Here are ten ways to get the most out of your library:
Locavore (noun): One who tries to eat only locally grown foods. Being a locavore is good for you, good for the earth, good for local farmers and good for the Michigan economy! Learn more about how and why to be a locavore; check out "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," by best-selling author Barbara Kingsolver, with Stephen L. Hopp and Camille Kingsolver.
Cloud Institute for Sustainability Education - Inspires young people to think about the world, their relationship to it, and their ability to influence it in an entirely new way.
Eco-Labels - This site by Consumer Reports allows consumers to find out what the labels on their favorite green products really mean.
EcoGeek - EcoGeek devotes its pages to exploring the symbiosis between nature and technology.
Credit Card Offers - Allows you to opt-out of pre-approved credit card offers.
Direct Marketing Consumer - Get your name off direct mail lists (it will cost you $1), telemarketing lists, email lists and more.
GreenDimes - For $36 per year, or just a dime a day, GreenDimes will reduce your junk mail and plant a tree on your behalf each month.
GreenerChoices.org - GreenerChoices.org was launched by Consumers Union, the nonprofit publisher of Consumer Reports and offers information on buying "greener" products that have minimal environmental impact and meet personal needs.
- buymichigannow.com directory — Look for a variety of products from Michigan based companies
- Dine Green — Find certified green restaurants in Michigan (such as Amici's Pizza in Berkley, MI) and in other states. Restaurant owners can also find out how to become certified
- Door to Door Organics — Local organic vegetables delivered right to your door
- eatwild.com — Find safe, healthy, natural and nutritious grass-fed beef, lamb, goats, bison, poultry, pork, dairy… and other wild edibles near you
- Eco-Friendly Paint — Benjamin Moore's Aura paint meets the toughest VOC rules in the country. Click on the link above for a store location near you
- Energy Star — Energy Star is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy.
The following materials are found in the collections of the Canton Public Library.