All this month we will highlight aspects of CPL's history, so stay tuned.
Today's look back focuses on Summer Reading. CPL's Summer Reading began in 1981, with "Adventures '81 At The Library". In 1982, from June 1 to August 6, Canton children joined the Summer Reading club "Camp Wanna Read a Book."
According to the June 1982 issue of "The Patron's Page" (Vol. 1, No. 1), this program included a magic show, mime presentation, puppet show, sing-along, story festival, skating party,
talent show, games, and craft days.
What other Summer Reading themes have there been?:
- 1981: Adventures '81 At The Library
- 1982: Camp Wanna-Read-a-Book
- 1983: Keys to the Castle
- 1984: Through a Looking Glass
- 1985: Buccaneers and Books
- 1986: Spotlight on Books
- 1987: Parade of Readers
- 1988: Passport to Adventure
- 1989: Reach for the Stars
- 1990: Batches of Books
- 1991: Read on the Wild Side
- 1992: Read Rock Rap: Tune Into Summer Reading!
- 1993: Make a Splash!
- 1994: Camp Read
- 1995: Books Under the Big Top
- 1996: Colorful World of Library Kids / Summer Reading Olympics
- 1997: Be Eager About Reading
- 1998: Reading is Dino-mite
- 1999: G'Day For Reading
- 2000: Caution: Readers at Work!
- 2001: Reading Road Trip U.S.A.!
- 2002: Join The Winner's Circle
- 2003: Laugh it Up @ Your Library
- 2004: Discover New Trails @ Your Library / Get Connected @ Your Library
- 2005: Dragons, Dreams, & Daring Deeds / License to Read
- 2006: Summer Reading Celebration / Read Around the World / Drive In To Summer Reading
- 2007: Get A Clue @ Your Library / Summertime Masterminds / Read Around the World
- 2008: Catch The Reading Bug / Metamorphosis / Challenge of the Decades
- 2009: Be Creative @ Your Library / Express Yourself @ Your Library / Master The Art of Reading
- 2010: Make a Splash @ Your Library / Making Waves @ Your Library / Set Sail for Summer Reading
That's a lot of Summer Reading!