- The Chairperson, Michelle Farell, called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM.
Present: Nancy Eggenberger, Michelle Farell, Jasmine Lee, Jane Pandit, Amy Watts
Absent: Don Turner
Also Present: E. Davis, K. Gladden
- CALL TO AUDIENCE (L. Golden, R. Havenstein-Coughlin, M. Nicholson, R. Noble, N. Szczepanski)
The agenda was approved by unanimous consent.
- APPROVAL OF GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
The minutes were approved by unanimous consent.
- DIRECTORS REPORT — The fiscal year is 83% completed.
At the December meeting, the board will be asked to approve a 4th Quarter Budget Amendment to adjust the actual expenditures as closely as possible to the anticipated expenditures. The goal is to apply contingency fund dollars to construction costs from this past winter. This will be balanced out by a Transfer of Fund Balance request, which will also be presented at the December meeting.
- TRUSTEE COMMENTS — Secretary/Treasurer Jasmine Lee offered praise for the End of Connect Your Summer party in August.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Connect Your Summer 2017 Review — Community Relations Department Head Laurie Golden briefly presented an overview of the 2017 Connect Your Summer program, explaining how staff had changed much of the program to reflect patron priorities as gleaned from feedback from the previous year’s program.
- Approve Proposed Date Change for December Library Board of Trustees Meeting to December 14, 2017 — Although Trustees Amy Watts and Nancy Eggenberger will be unable to attend a December 14th meeting, the rest of the board members agreed that the altered date would work better than that originally scheduled.
N. Eggenberger moved and A. Watts supported a motion to approve the proposed date change for the December Library Board of Trustees meeting to December 14.
The motion passed unanimously 17/11-16-1
- Appeals of Patron Suspensions after 2nd Violation — Davis explained that, even though she has not received the requisite written notice from the patrons involved, it is possible that the board will receive requests to reconsider suspensions of two teens who had been read trespass earlier this year and were recently caught violating their suspensions.
The policy is mute on how such a situation should be addressed and Davis asked for direction in pursuing an update of the policy. Trustee N. Eggenberger expressed a strong desire that consequences attach to repeated violations of policy; Davis said that the library can ask Canton Public Safety for an additional trespass of one year after the initial trespass order expires. There was consensus that the board would be interested in updating the policy. Davis will look into best practices of other libraries in this type of situation, receive legal guidance, and bring back a policy update in the new year.
- 2018 Officers — Chair Michelle Farell and Secretary/Treasurer Jasmine Lee indicated their willingness to remain as officers in their present roles for 2018; Don Turner has not indicated his position regarding staying on as Vice-Chair. The board will vote at the December meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:21 PM.