Although Earth Day is officially celebrated once a year - on April 22 - the Library has a great collection of environmentally-themed documentaries that are available all year round. From wildlife to climate change, from recycling to alternate energy, we have it covered!
Have one of those old olive green refrigerators? Thinking of replacing your washing machine for a shiny new model? Well, you may be in luck! The State of Michigan recently began a mail-in rebate program to help residents replace older, inefficient appliances with ENERGY STAR® qualified and ultra-efficient appliances. This program, which is part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, offers rebates on refrigerators, clothes washers, dishwashers, water heaters & furnaces. For eligibility guidelines, covered products and rebate amounts visit the U.S Departments of Energy's rebate website.
- buymichigannow.com directory — Look for a variety of products from Michigan based companies
- Dine Green — Find certified green restaurants in Michigan (such as Amici's Pizza in Berkley, MI) and in other states. Restaurant owners can also find out how to become certified
- Door to Door Organics — Local organic vegetables delivered right to your door
- eatwild.com — Find safe, healthy, natural and nutritious grass-fed beef, lamb, goats, bison, poultry, pork, dairy… and other wild edibles near you
- Eco-Friendly Paint — Benjamin Moore's Aura paint meets the toughest VOC rules in the country. Click on the link above for a store location near you
- Energy Star — Energy Star is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy.