Tomorrow's garden : design and inspiration for a new age of sustainable gardening text and photographs by Stephen Orr — Many people are embracing the opportunity to DIY rather than hiring a landscaper, and lots of folks are increasing their awareness of the lasting impact that garden design choices make on the overall landscape. Maybe you choose to grow edibles to cut down on your grocery costs, or perhaps to plant an ornamental garden instead of maintaining a lawn that requires a lot of water. These and other sustainable choices are covered here by garden expert Orr.
Save $, Energy, and More
- Alliance to Save Energy — offers information to help you save money, increase comfort, and reduce pollution through energy efficiency
- Canton Farmers Market — a variety of home-grown foods and hand-made goods
- GreenerThinking — environmental articles and tips on how to save the environment and some cash along the way
- RideShare — free carpool and vanpool matching service that links commuters in Michigan
- Unscrew America — information about replacing your old light bulbs with energy-efficient compact fluorescent bulbs and LEDs
- Vampire Energy Chart — shows how much energy you use even when your appliances are turned off
Cloud Institute for Sustainability Education - Inspires young people to think about the world, their relationship to it, and their ability to influence it in an entirely new way.
Eco-Labels - This site by Consumer Reports allows consumers to find out what the labels on their favorite green products really mean.
EcoGeek - EcoGeek devotes its pages to exploring the symbiosis between nature and technology.
- buymichigannow.com directory — Look for a variety of products from Michigan based companies
- Dine Green — Find certified green restaurants in Michigan (such as Amici's Pizza in Berkley, MI) and in other states. Restaurant owners can also find out how to become certified
- Door to Door Organics — Local organic vegetables delivered right to your door
- eatwild.com — Find safe, healthy, natural and nutritious grass-fed beef, lamb, goats, bison, poultry, pork, dairy… and other wild edibles near you
- Eco-Friendly Paint — Benjamin Moore's Aura paint meets the toughest VOC rules in the country. Click on the link above for a store location near you
- Energy Star — Energy Star is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy.