As the weather gets colder and we all start staying indoors more, here are some cute picture books about being artistic to inspire you to create!
I ain't gonna paint no more! by Karen Beaumont; illustrated by David Catrow
The dot by Peter H. Reynolds
Harold and the purple crayon by Johnson, Crockett, 1906-
Frederick by Leo Lionni
- Głowa Minotaura by Marek Krajewski
- Dziewice, do boju! by Monika Szwaja
- Czarna wdowa atakuje by Irena Matuszkiewicz.
Come on in and check them out.
Since it'll be awhile before the book is published, why not check out some of Weird Al's music in the meantime?
“I’ve always wanted to write children's books,” said Yankovic. “And now, it’s not only a goal, it’s a contractual obligation.”
- Author Shya Scanlon is serializing his new novel, Forecast, across 42 blogs in the coming weeks
- Concord Free Press gives away unique books, on the premise that the readers will donate to charity, then pass the book along
- Journalist and author Chris Anderson is giving away his latest book, Free, in multiple formats on the web. Of course, you can borrow it free here as well
- Google Books offers millions of books and editions, many in full text. Additionally, Google Books has LIFE Magazine for many years. Protip: Use the advanced search to "Full view only"
- Read Print Library has far fewer books (around 8,000), but the interface for finding and reading books is very friendly
- Internet Archive stores Project Gutenberg as well as many other texts. The archive also has video, audio, and web categories
Fire safety week is Oct 4th through the 10th. This year the focus in on burn awareness and prevention. There are several web sites with crafts, games and activities for children and information for adults as well.
There are a number of books in the library about home and fire safety. One of these is Fire safety, a juvenile nonfiction by Lucia Raatma.
Also check out the Elm Creek quilts: quilt projects inspired by the Elm Creek quilt novels. This book contains patterns for quilts that are talked about in the first four books. Anyone who is interested in quilting would enjoy these books.
Patty's Pumpkin Patch
Maple Syrup Season
The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
Apple Cider Making Days
How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
Please Don't Tease Tootsie - a cute little story about being nice to your pets.
Catfish Kate and the Sweet Swamp Band - a funny lesson about compromise.
Happy Hector A Tilly and Friends Book - about sharing time with friends, even when you want them all to yourself.
Flip, Flap, Fly! - a gentle story about different kinds of animal babies and how their mommies help them.