May We Suggest
This blog provides customized book recommendations to our patrons. To get your own, just fill out the May We Suggest form and you can expect results within 10 days. You can also like May We Suggest on facebook.
Wondering what gifts to buy for this gift-giving season? Well, why not make your own gifts like some celebrants of Kwanzaa do. You could make ornaments, dolls, treasure boxes or candle out of old jewelry, marbles, yarn, string or other small pieces you already have around. Here are some craft books to help you along.
All new crafts for Kwanzaa by Kathy Ross; illustrated by Sharon Lane Holm
Chinese New Year crafts by Karen E. Bledsoe
Hey kids, did you spend the day doing holiday shopping with the grown-ups? You probably need some down time after navigating through all those crowds at the stores! Come to the library and grab something (free!) to read and wind down. I'm feeling Christmas-y, so here are some of my favorite easy-to-read Christmas tales to get you in the spirit:
Arthur's Christmas cookies by words and pictures by Lillian Hoban
Aunt Eater's mystery Christmas by story and pictures by Doug Cushman
- The challenge for Africa by Wangari Maathai
- A beautiful place to die by Malla Nunn
- Ivory's ghosts: the white gold of history and the fate of elephants by John F. Walker
- Playing the enemy: Nelson Mandela and the game that made a nation by John Carlin
- Cry, the beloved country by Alan Paton
- A change of altitude by Anita Shreve
- Tea time for the traditionally built by Alexander McCall Smith
- The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips
- The laughter of dead kings by Elizabeth Peters
- Heart of darkness by Joseph Conrad
Bummed that storytime is on break until November 9th? Share these stories at home with your children to tide them over with some great story fun!
Princess Pig by written by Eileen Spinelli; illustrated by Tim Bowers — when the Pickle Princess's sash blows away from her parade and lands on Pig, things change around the barnyard. As Pig begins to explore the possibilies of royalty, Pony reminds her that you don't have to be a princess to be special.
Traction Man is here! by Mini Grey — the hilarious domestic adventures of a boy and his action figure.