*Moms need not attend for student to benefit from this program.
The tiger's wife: a novel by Téa Obreht — Natalia, a young doctor, arrives in a Balkan country on a mission of mercy. By the time she and her lifelong friend Zóra begin to inoculate the children there, she feels age-old superstitions and secrets gathering everywhere around her. But Natalia is also confronting a private mystery of her own: the inexplicable circumstances surrounding her beloved grandfather's recent death. After telling her grandmother that he was on his way to meet Natalia, he instead set off for a ramshackle settlement none of their family had ever heard of and died there alone. Why he left home becomes a riddle Natalia is compelled to unravel. Searching for clues, she turns to the stories he told her when she was a child. But the most extraordinary story of all is the one her grandfather never told her, the one Natalia must discover for herself. One winter during the Second World War, his childhood village was snowbound, cut off even from the encroaching German invaders but haunted by another, fierce presence: a tiger who comes ever closer under cover of darkness. "These stories," Natalia comes to understand, "run like secret rivers through all the other stories" of her grandfather's life. And it is ultimately within these rich, luminous narratives that she will find the answer she is looking for.
- Saturday, May 11
- Saturday, May 25
In the presence of my enemies by Gracia Burnham, with Dean Merrill — A gripping true story of American missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham’s year as hostages in the Philippine jungle, was a New York Times best seller and has sold nearly 350,000 copies. Now releasing in trade softcover for the first time, this updated edition has a new look and contains never-before-published information on the capture and trial of the Burnhams’ captors; Gracia’s secret return trip to the Philippines; and updates on recent events in Gracia’s life, ministry, and family.
Date: May 20, 6:30-8:30 PM
Our guest authors include:
- Diana Barnes Patillo, children's
- Gordon Briley, children's
- Leis Dauzet-Miller, history
- Jody Lamb, tween
- Stephanie Neilan, children's
- Elaine Pereira, nonfiction
- Linda Svacha, inspirational
- Angil Tarach-Ritchey, nonfiction
- Ed Wendover, mystery
- Sean Williams, children's
- Kris Yankee, tween/teen
- Meatless Mondays: April 22, 7:00 PM. One meatless day per week helps take a big strain off the environment. Door to Door Organics explains.
- Michigan Made: April 23, 7:00 PM. Taste and experience Michigan made products from Heart of Michigan.
- Rain Gardens and Live Walls: April 25, 7:00 PM. Learn to create eco-friendly rain gardens and living plant walls with landscaper Jeremy Christianson.
- Native American Dancers for Mother Earth: April 27, 2:00 PM. Enjoy the rhythmic sounds and beautiful dance that celebrates Mother Earth.