Bestsellers — Trade Fiction Paperback
New York Times Bestsellers for the week of 2014-12-21, linked to Canton Public Library's Catalog.
- Gone girl by Gillian Flynn
A woman disappears from her Missouri home on her fifth anniversary; is her bitter, oddly evasive husband a killer?
- Orphan train by Christina Baker Kline
A historical novel about orphans swept off the streets of New York and sent to the Midwest in the 1920s.
- The alchemist by Paulo Coelho
In this fable, a Spanish shepherd boy ventures to Egypt in search of treasure and his destiny.
- The martian by Andy Weir
After a dust storm forces his crew to abandon him, an astronaut embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive on Mars.
- Captivated by you by Sylvia Day
Eva and Gideon's vows have opened old wounds, exposed insecurities and lured bitter enemies out of the shadows; a Crossfire novel.
- Sharp objects by Gillian Flynn
Fresh from a stay at a psychiatric hospital, a newspaper reporter returns (reluctantly) to her hometown to cover the murders of two girls.
- Dark places by Gillian Flynn
A woman who, as a child, was spared when her mother and sisters were murdered begins to reinvestigate the case against her imprisoned brother.
- The strange library by Haruki Murakami
A lonely boy, a mysterious girl and a tormented man dressed as a sheep plot their escape from a nightmarish library in this illustrated novel.
- The storied life of a. j. fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
A bookstore owner, depressed after the death of his wife and the theft of a prized volume, is given a chance to make his life over.
- Fifty shades of grey by E L James
An inexperienced college student falls in love with a tortured man who has particular sexual tastes; the first book in a trilogy.
- Blood magick by Nora Roberts
In County Mayo, Ireland, Branna and Fin’s relationship offers them both comfort and torment; Book 3 of the Cousins O'Dwyer trilogy.
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Young and in love, Ifemelu and Obinze leave military-ruled Nigeria for the West. Ifemelu finds academic success in America, while Obinze plunges into a dangerous, undocumented life in London.
- The rosie project by Graeme Simsion
A genetics professor with Asperger's syndrome becomes involved with an unconventional woman.
- What alice forgot by Liane Moriarty
Alice Love, a happily married and pregnant 29-year-old, passes out and wakes up to discover she's actually 39, has three kids and is in the middle of an acrimonious divorce.
- The light between oceans by M L Stedman
An Australian lighthouse keeper and his wife decide to keep a baby who has washed ashore.
- Private india by James Patterson and Ashwin Sanghi
The world’s top detective agency has opened an office in Mumbai, and one of its agents is on the hunt for an elusive killer.
- The best of me by Nicholas Sparks
Twenty-five years after their high school romance ended, a man and woman who have gone their separate ways return to their North Carolina town for the funeral of a friend.
- Still life with bread crumbs by Anna Quindlen
An aging photographer rents a rural cottage and discovers sparks of creativity and desire.
- The first phone call from heaven by Mitch Albom
A small Michigan town is transformed when its residents receive phone calls said to be from heaven.
- The best american short stories 2014 by edited Jennifer Egan with Heidi Pitlor
Selections include works by Charles Baxter, Ann Beattie, Joshua Ferris and Karen Russell.