April 15, 2020 | daviscrl
April 14, 2020 | hathawaym
Do your kids miss going to school? (Do you miss sending your kids to school?) Hoopla can help! Here is a collection of always-available titles Elementary-age children can learn with (and enjoy) during their time at home.
Not only are Hoopla titles always available, but at this time Hoopla has curated a list of more than 1,100 "Bonus Borrow" titles that are free to checkout and do not count against your monthly limits. We've put together a list of our favorites. (Educational Bonus Borrows are marked with an *)
- Rubber Band Engineer by Lance Akiyama (ebook) - Discover unexpected ways to turn common materials into crafty contraptions that range from surprisingly simple to curiously complex. In vivid color photos, you'll be guided to create slingshot rockets, unique catapults, and even hydraulic-powered machines.
- Hannah's Tall Order: An A to Z Sandwich by Linda Vander Heyden and Kayla Harren (ebook) - This messy romp through the alphabet will have readers in fits of giggles from beginning to end.
- Mason Jar Science by Jonathan Adolf* (ebook) - Using just a jar and a few ordinary household items, children learn to create miniature clouds, tiny tornadoes, small stalactites, and, of course, great goo and super slime!
- Explore Ancient Egypt by Carmella Van Vleet and Alex Kim* (ebook) - learn about ancient Egyptian homes, food, money, toys, games, makeup, clothes, kings, mummies, and more.
- Animal Songs by Raffi* (music) - Explore music and movement with a theme kids love: animals!
- How to Write A Comic Book by Nel Yomtov* (ebook) - This book teaches readers how to plan and write comic books. A variety of activities provide hints and tips along the way to support the process of planning, organizing, and writing the narrative of a comic book story.
- STEAM Lab for Kids by Liz Lee Heinecke (ebook) - The deeper you look into art, the more engineering and math you'll find. From graphite circuit comic books to edible stained glass, young engineers and artists alike will find inspiration.
- You can too! Civil Rights Champions by Kelly Rodgers* (ebook) - What do Rosa Parks, Ruby Bridges, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Martin Luther King Jr. have in common? They are civil rights champions!
- Peanut Butter and Jellyfishes by Brian P. Cleary (ebook) - A whimsical tour of everyone's 26 favorite letters. Rhyming verses are illustrated with colorful collage. Can you find the letters and objects hidden on every page?
- How Plants Grow by Dona Herwick Rice* (ebook) - Beginning readers explore the steps to make plants grow! Readers will learn about various parts of the plant including seeds, roots, and leaves in this engaging nonfiction title.
April 9, 2020 | hathawaym
The world is a bit crazy right now. If you turn on your TV or scroll through social media it is hard to ignore the news, and easy to feel anxious or overwhelmed. Though the disruptions may feel endless, Queen Elizabeth of England made a rare television broadcast to remind her country and us all that this too, shall pass.
If you're seeking calm during this turbulent time, these books can help:
- Little Ways to Keep Calm and Carry On by Mark A. Reinecke (audiobook)- twenty short yet powerful lessons and anxiety-reducing techniques that will help you move past stressful moments with grace.
- Freedom from Anxious Thoughts and Worry by Scott Symington (ebook) - A practical approach called the two-screen method can help when painful thoughts feel overwhelming.
- Anxious Art by Yaddyra Peralta and Elina Diaz (ebook) - Decompress Your Stress! Find relief from anxiety and stress through meditative, creative processes.
- Eff This! Meditation by Liza Kindred (ebook) - 108 hands-on practices rooted in humor, love, straight talk, and a deep respect for the foundational teachings of Buddhism.
- Mindfulness by Mark Williams and Danny Penman (audiobook) - Simple and straightforward forms of mindfulness meditation that can be done by anyone-and it can take just 10 to 20 minutes a day.
- Don't Feed the Monkey Mind by Jennifer Shannon and Doug Shannon (ebook) - A cognitive behavioral therapy-based approach to help you recognize the constant chatter of your anxious "monkey mind," stop feeding anxious thoughts, and find the personal peace you crave.
- Modern Mindfullness by Rohan Gunatillake (audiobook) - In order to lead more mindful, calm and happy lives, switching off is the last thing we need to do. Instead we should bring awareness, composure, and kindness whatever we do.
- The Chemistry of Calm by Henry Emmonds (audiobook) - The debilitating effects of anxiety can affect your sense of well-being, health, longevity, productivity, and relationships. Dr. Henry Emmons presents a way to relieve anxiety and restore physical and mental strength.
April 9, 2020 | hathawaym
Exercise is not only good for our bodies, it's proven to help our minds as well. If your routine is thrown off by gym closures, check out these great at-home options that are always available from Hoopla.
Not only are Hoopla titles always available, but at this time Hoopla has curated a list of more than 1,100 "Bonus Borrow" titles that are free to checkout and do not count against your monthly limits. We've put together a list of our favorites. (At-Home Fitness Bonus Borrows are marked with an *)
- Rodney Yee Yoga for Beginners* (video) - If you are new to yoga, Gaiam's Yoga for Beginners video is an ideal place to start. Learn the importance of proper alignment while gaining the tools to establish a successful Yoga routine that can enhance your daily life.
- My Yoga: Who Needs Coffee? *(video) - Answer: Most of us, Tara. If you're looking to kick the caffeine habit, try this short and energizing practice from Tara Lee that will work out all the kinks in your body and leave you feeling great.
- Cardio Burn Walking for Weight Loss (video) - This unique walking fitness workout program shows you how to boost the fat- and calorie-burning power of fitness walking and fit it into your schedule.
- Mari Windsor Flat Abs Pilates* (video) - Master Pilates instructor Mari Winsor targets your midsection and core. Strengthen your powerhouse and get a smaller waist, flatter abs and a longer, leaner look.
- Jillian Michaels 10-Minute Body Transformation* (video) - A series of 10-minute workouts, all completely different to stave off boredom and prevent plateaus. Mix and match based on your schedule and how much time YOU have to exercise. As always, Jillian offers modifications and progressions for every move in each workout.
- Bollywood Burn with Hemalayaa (video) - As you dance, you'll lose weight; tone your core, hips, and thighs; and kiss stress good-bye. So liven up, let loose, and laugh like Hemalayaa does. It's that much fun!
- The RBG Workout by Bryant Johnson* (ebook) - Have you ever wondered what keeps Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, one of the Supreme Court's favorite octogenarians, so sprightly? She owes it in part to the twice-weekly workouts she does with her personal trainer, Bryant Johnson. From planks to squats to (full) push-ups, this simple but challenging workout will have you getting fit in no time.
April 7, 2020 | hathawaym
Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness is the #1 Netflix show and top meme-generating entertainment media around these days. This show has everything: rivalries, polygamy, exotic animals, guns, mysterious disappearances, doomed political campaigns, and abundant animal-print couture. For all of these reasons and more, we can't stop thinking about it, and we want more. If you're feeling the same way, we recommend these stories of charismatic criminals, media sensations, cults of personality, and amazing crimes:
On the South Side of Chicago in 1974, Linda Taylor reported a phony burglary, concocting a lie about stolen furs and jewelry. The detective who checked it out soon discovered she was a welfare cheat who drove a Cadillac to collect ill-gotten government checks. And that was just the beginning: Taylor, it turned out, was also a kidnapper, and possibly a murderer. A desperately ill teacher, a combat-traumatized Marine, an elderly woman hungry for companionship- after Taylor came into their lives, all three ended up dead under suspicious circumstances.