Books and MoreGreat resource: browse our book lists by topic or genre.
See also: Books and more for bestsellers and great reads.
Recommendations by Grade
DatabasesDatabases are premium sources for articles, books, media, and organized information. We have many more sources on the main databases page.
- Accelerated Reader BookFinder
- CultureGrams — excellent resource for country and state reports
- Electric Library Elementary — articles, pictures, audio/video clips, TV transcripts, encyclopedias
- Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia — searchable e-book
- Kids InfoBits — book passages, news, facts & figures, images
- NoveList K8 Plus — read-alike suggestions and Lexile levels
- SIRS Discoverer — newsstand, activities, geography, bios, photos
- World Book Kids — online encyclopedia
- World of Earth Science — searchable e-book
Early Literacy Online ResourcesThese fun online resources contains stories and games specifically geared towards beginning and pre-readers.
- BookFlix — interactively explore fiction and non-fiction
- Early World of Learning — early literacy games and other learning activities
- Tumblebooks — great online books
Early LiteracyLiteracy development begins at birth. Children begin to associate shapes, symbols, books, and objects with contexts before they are able to actually read and write.
To help develop these emergent skills, our early literacy area includes skills-focused toys/games plus puppets for creative play and social skills. In the same area is our Baby Nook, where patrons ages 18 months and younger are invited to play and learn in a safe environment.
Fun and Games
- Anne of Green Gables
- Barbie Games
- Club Penguin
- CyberChase Games Central
- Learning Planet
- New York Public Library "On-Lion" Reading
- Polly Pocket Games
- Boowa and Kwala Home — songs, games, stories
- Dinosaur Puppet Activity
- Funschool Preschool Arcade
- Learn to read at Starfall
- PBS Kids — (here you'll find friends from Boobah, Barney, Caillou, Clifford and more)