Catalog

Search our Catalog

new stores/developments

5 replies [Last post]
Anne Heidemann
Contributor
Anne Heidemann's picture

I'm always interested to know what is being built, what new businesses are going in, and which businesses are moving. When I see bulldozers or other activity, I always wish there was a sign or something that would indicate what's happening.

There's a new building being built next to the CVS at Cherry Hill and Canton Center. Rumor has it that the Dairy Queen (currently located next to Lucky Hair Company) is moving in there, but the building looks big enough that it could hold more than just a DQ.

I also noticed that the vacant lot at Warren and Lilley is being worked on.

Does anyone know the skinny on these or other changes? Is there an existing place to find this info online?

Marianne
Participant
Marianne's picture

I'm also curious about the building going up next to CVS. I don't know anything, though. And what happened to Canton getting a Sonic restaurant?

Anne Heidemann
Contributor
Anne Heidemann's picture

I haven't heard anything about Canton getting a Sonic, but there is one going in on Wayne Road in Westland (very close to Ashley's - they tore down the old Denny's that had been boarded up for years and are building on that lot). That's all I know on that one.

jf625
Participant

I heard that they were going to build a Sonic near Meijer's/Max and Erma's.

Long ago I heard that a Best Buy was going to be built at Ford Road where Roman Forum is located.

Marianne
Participant
Marianne's picture

Yes, I had heard the same thing about Sonic supposedly going up near the Meijer. I first had heard the rumors about a year ago, and wonder why it never happened. I was looking forward to trying Sonic for the first time without having to drive way over to Southgate or Commerce Twp.

One restaurant I wish we had here was IHOP! The Livonia IHOP is always too crowded, and the Brighton one isn't conveniently located (for me, anyway).

I passed by the new building going up next to CVS at Cherry Hill/Canton Center today; lots of activity and it appears to be getting built quickly, but still no indication of what it is. I was hoping for a sign stating "future home of..." but no such luck.

Anne Heidemann
Contributor
Anne Heidemann's picture

As for the Best Buy project, the last reference to it in one of the Supervisor's Updates is from November 24, 2008:

"Development front….Meijer received approval from the Board
of Trustees. Word is that Wal-Mart and Meijer are planning on
building in late 2009. We are still wondering what’s going on
with Best Buy…Expansion for the Heartland Care facility at
Lilley and Warren was approved by the Board of Trustees. The
biggest problem facing many approved projects is financing. In
some cases leases have been secured, however, banks are holding
on to their funds and deny worthy projects."

and the most recent reference I found in the Planning Commission meeting minutes, from October 6, 2008:

"Vice-Chairman Greene inquired of the status of the Michigan Avenue Wal-Mart and Best Buy projects. Mr. Goulet explained that the site plan for Wal-Mart expires in December and project representatives are in the process of redesigning the structure to fit the Canton market from what was originally approved. Mr. Goulet stated that representatives anticipate starting construction next year as they must resubmit the new version. Mr. Goulet stated that Best Buy received their MDOT permit last week and anticipates construction to begin in the spring."

The last hearsay I've heard said that due to the economy Best Buy had halted all of their plans for building new stores, but I haven't found any verification for that.