Catalog

Search our Catalog
7 replies [Last post]
Genten
Contributor
Genten's picture

Okay, we need to get people more informed about this site. I say we announce the new URL next meeting, because that's probably the biggest reason there aren't a lot of people here. At least I think so.

Anyway, on to the topic, because we need a new one of those. What anime or manga do you think is underated and deserves more attention?

On the flip side, which anime do you think is overrated?

Personally, I think a lot of the anime with a 13 or less episode count don't get a lot of attention because it's not long enough to become popular,or to make a big impact. Which is really sad because there are a lot of anime, like Zombie-Loan, that are awesome, that don't get a lot of attention.
Sad
On the flip side, there are some really, really long anime that just need to DIE already. A lot of shounen anime, like One Piece and Bleach, just go on forever, and ever, and ever...They just need to END already. Luffy needs to find One Piece and Ichigo needs to...actually, that shows been going on so long I forget what Ichigo actually wants to accomplish.

So, your opinion?

JDeko
Contributor
JDeko's picture

i think One Piece can die but Bleach is still entertaining. Another series that gets way too much hype are the old UC Gundam series, i'm sorry after Kamille pretty much goes Super Saiyan and can deflect beams WITH HIS MIND it kinda ruins the whole "Gundam is the realistic robot anime," vibe. really he turned into Shinji Ikari and deployed an AT Field.

conversely people give CE Gundam so much crap, more people need to watch Gundam SEED and Destiny, to me they are two of the best anime i've ever seen. also too few people have seen Pani Poni Dash, that was an amazing series!

also, Genshiken was WAY overrated, the way i heard it described it sounded like this amazing nerdcore manga, but instead it just kinda felt like the side jokes in a good anime like FLCL, Pani Poni or Excel Saga, except without the lovable characters. really i just finished the series and i don't miss the characters at all, i grew not attachment to them, as opposed to other series where the ending makes you feel like your best friend just moved away.

Genten
Contributor
Genten's picture

I saw Pani Poni Dash, I think it needs more attention. I also read Genshiken, and I liked it. It might depend, though, on whether or not you watched the anime or manga. I like the manga a lot better, plus it was longer to give the characters more room.

JDeko
Contributor
JDeko's picture

i read the manga, to me at the end i was like "oh... okay. bye, i guess..." as opposed to Pani Poni where i was grief-stricken at the thought of Himeko, Seizawa, and Ichijo leaving my TV. i dunno Genshiken just didn't do it for me.

Genten
Contributor
Genten's picture

I was very sad when Genshiken ended. I almost didn't want to read the last volume, because I didn't want it to end. Genshiken really grew on me, I was left with a sad feeling of remorse when I finished it (like the thought when I finished reading Here is Greenwood).

JDeko
Contributor
JDeko's picture

huh, i just didn't connect with the characters very much. i mean i could relate to Kousaka being the pretty-boy otaku, and Oguie was fun with her yaoi obsession but i never really felt connected to kanji or madarame. i dunno, i guess it was mostly because most people made it sound like the second coming i was a little disappointed. Neko really liked it too so maybe i'm just weird -^_^-

i'm still surprised how few people watch the new Gundam series like SEED or 00, or even 8th MS Team. so many people i've talked to never even knew there were other series than Wing or refuse to watch any non-Universal Century Gundam series [though few have watch 08th ms team]. and even series on [as] like Code Geass i'm hard pressed to find another person who watched it. i think i just find really odd things to watch.

Infoseeker
Participant
Infoseeker's picture

My two favorite underrated anime are Tenshi na Konamaiki. And an anime called Kiba.

Kiba surprised me I learned later that it was an anime that was partnered with a card game. But it was such a good anime that that surprised me. It one of those boy gets transferred to another world stories.

Tenshi na Konamaiki was a great great great comedy. About a boy who gets cursed into being a girl permanently (no weird rules to make him go between genders). And his coping with it and trying to break the curse somehow.

Both stories are underrated because they sound like the 'common' story. But believe me, these two animes make their story work!

By the way I'd like to say, I found the forums when I logged into the Canton library and it suggested this topic to me. SO it's not too hard to find.

Genten
Contributor
Genten's picture

Try talking with people when the anime you've just seen recently is Baccano! There are so few people who watch the series I do....