Catalog

Search our Catalog
14 replies [Last post]
Brad Czerniak
Administrator
Brad Czerniak's picture

Avenue diner -- on the North side of Michigan Avenue between Haggerty and Lilley -- is really quite excellent. The food is very fresh, and the atmosphere is the type of diner that you want to become a "regular" at.

I suggest the sweet potato fries Smile

Anne Heidemann
Contributor
Anne Heidemann's picture

What's the menu like? Typical diner fare?

Brad Czerniak
Administrator
Brad Czerniak's picture

In a sense, yes. They serve sandwiches and burgers, but also salads.
Their weekly specials are generally very good (though they contain meat).

Anne Heidemann
Contributor
Anne Heidemann's picture

Thanks! Diner salads can be really good. Have you tried anything breakfast-y there? That's my other diner fave.

gladdenk
Participant
gladdenk's picture

I just had breakfast there last Sunday. They serve it all day on Sundays (until noon on other days.) I had the Southern Hash which was hash browns (fresh potatoes grated onto the grill, not frozen hash browns!), sausage, green peppers & swiss cheese, topped with two eggs & country gravy. They also serve pancakes and 2 or 3 styles of french toast, as well as several different kinds of hash. Next time I go back for breakfast, I think I'll try the Elvis special: French Toast with peanut butter and banana. I love that place!

Anne Heidemann
Contributor
Anne Heidemann's picture

Kathie, I'm drooling reading your description! I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

diamond5
Participant

This place absolutely rocks! Their inside out burgers and their chicken castro sandwich are incredibly good! I highly recommend this place!

shelleyi
Participant

My husband, son and I just had lunch at the Avenue Diner and thought it was great. My husband had one of their signature inside-out burgers and loved it. He said you could tell they used fresh ingredients. I had the vegie burger which was cooked perfectly (these are easy to mess up), and nice and moist. The secret sauce they put on it is yummy! Both our buns were toasted and everything was hot. My son had chicken strips and onion rings and enjoy them. The place is small and clean. The main dining area consists of stools & bar type seating, with a few tables set up in the back. So, if you're coming with a large group you may want to consider carry-out. We're definitely heading back in the near future!

CBC
Participant

They aren't open for Sunday breakfast anymore, I talked to the owner who said not enough people were showing up.

It looks like a tiny little hole in the wall as you drive by, but it is a nice clean little diner with '50's kitch decorations inside, and everything we've tried there (turkey reuben, entree salads with chicken, inside out burger stuffed with jalepenos and cheese) has been really good, I might even say fantastic. Better than I'd expect for diner fare.

Brad Czerniak
Administrator
Brad Czerniak's picture

Now that Fall is just around the corner, we'll have to try to convince Steve to open for Sunday breakfast. Who's with me?

gladdenk
Participant
gladdenk's picture

I'm totally there! I never got the opportunity to try most of the stuff on Steve's breakfast menu (my bad) and now feel excessively deprived.

Marianne
Participant
Marianne's picture

I have been here once, and I liked the regular french fries a lot. I also had a buffalo chicken sandwich. I wasn't crazy about the buffalo sauce or the fact that the sandwich was three small pieces of chicken that kept sliding out every time I took bites, but I liked that sliced cucumber was in it.

CBC
Participant

Now closed... replaced by an italian sub shop?

Marianne
Participant
Marianne's picture

Avenue Diner is closed? Wow, that didn't last long. What a bummer! I was hoping to go back and try some of their other food.

jcellgirl
Participant

Why did Steve go out of business? We loved it there!