June 20, 2012 | goldenl
We are pleased to be part of the Detroit Institute of Arts Inside|Out program, which brings high-quality reproductions of masterpieces from the DIA's collection to the streets. There are six pieces displayed in Canton, including Young Woman with a Violin by Italian painter Orazio Gentileschi, on display at the library. The painting, circa 1612, depicts the patron saint of musicians, Cecelia.
The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation sponsors this program.
You can find out more about the locations in the DIA's Inside|Out brochure.
We'll be adding events throughout the program, so check back frequently.
- July 9 — Watch the DIA masterworks come alive through the beauty of chalk art! Artists from D&M Art Studio recreate some of Canton's Inside|Out paintings at CPL and the historic Cherry Hill School at 6:00 PM. Canton Leisure Services lets kids get in on the artistic action by leaving their own chalk masterpieces on the area's sidewalks. Plus, enjoy a free concert at Cherry Hill School featuring World/Latin Jazz bandPanaMO, beginning at 7:00 PM
- July 15 — Free Canton resident admission to the DIA
- July 22, 1:00-2:00 PM — Michigan Philharmonic Youth Orchestra violinist Kathy Chen will perform in the front courtyard by the DIA Inside/Out painting
- July 25, 10:30 AM -- Musicians from the Michigan Philharmonic Youth Orchestra play in the courtyard. This will be an ongoing unannounced presentation. Enjoy it while it happens.
- August 2, 6:30-9:00 PM — Family Picnic Night in Heritage Park. Bring your family, friends and a picnic blanket out to a special celebration of The Merrymakers, located near the amphitheater in Heritage Park. It's the final free Thursday Night Concert and we encourage families to eat, drink and make merry, just like the family featured in the Carolus-Duran masterwork. The concert features the sounds of Trilogy, a Canton favorite, whose sound spans decades and many genre of popular music. Don't want to cook? Cruisin' Custom Coneys will be on-site selling some delicious items for your dining pleasure. Plus, enter prize drawings for gift cards, t-shirts, DIA passes and much more.
- September 15 -- Great Artscape cART Tours. Registration through Canton Leisure Services. Get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and take in a little art...or a lot, presented by Canton Leisure Services, Canton DDA, Canton Public Library, Midwest Sculpture Initiative, The Village Theater at Cherry Hill, and the Detroit Institute of Arts.
Start the morning off with an informational walking tour of Canton's 2012 Sculpture Installation along Ford Road with artist Ken Thompson. Search Canton Leisure Services activity code #3885.359 for more details.
Next...Take in Amy DiPlacido's exhibit on display in the Gallery of the Village Theater for free. While you're there, let the kids join us for a special free art workshop from 1:00-2:00 PM in the vestibule.
If you still haven't had your fill of beautiful things, meet us at the Summit for a very special tour of four of Canton DIA Inside/Out masterworks led by official museum docents. These unique golfcART tours will be available from 1:00-3:00 PM.
Docents and staff will meet in front of the Summit near the DIA piece to begin the tours. Ages 2 and up are welcome, but we encourage only those guests who are comfortable riding and staying seated in a golfcart for the duration of the tour, to join us for this program. Tours will last approximately 20-30 minutes. Free; Space is limited and pre-registration is required.
Tour #1, Start Time 1:00 PM Registration Code: #3885.360
Tour #2, Start Time 2:00 PM Registration Code: #3885.361
Tour #3, Start Time 2:45 PM Registration Code: #3885.362
- September 15 -- The talented artists of D&M Art Studio will host a Fine Art Workshop for Families from 3:00-4:00 PM at their store located at 8691 N. Lilley Road from 3-4pm. The program is FREE but space is limited, so please call 734-453-3710 to register.