June 15, 2020 | SuzyQ
Although the new world of social distancing is putting a crimp in all of our travel plans, that's no reason we can't take a trip - a virtual trip that is! From museums to zoos, to country and city tours, the possibilities are endless. No need to leave your couch, just pick a destination and you're on your way! No passport required. A good place to start your vacation is from one of the following sites which list a variety of virtual tours from around the world.
- Google Arts & Culture Explore art and culture from around the globe with this comprehensive site, including over 200 museums from 80 countries.
- Thrillist.com Find links to food, drink, travel and entertainment around the world including their list of the best virtual trips while social distancing
- Pure Michigan The new #Virtual Pure Michigan campaign brings Michigan travel experiences directly into people’s homes by way of virtual tours, live streams, web cams and other interactive technology such as puzzles, games, and fun fact sheets for the whole family
- VisitDetroit Links to Detroit attractions offering virtual tours and online learning.
- Travel and Leisure Tours of Tokyo, European castles, glaciers in Alaska, and Abbey Road studio in London are just some of the many virtual destinations you can find on this site
- Discovery Education Virtual field trips with hands-on learning activities
Can't make up your mind with all of the many choices available? No problem! Browse through some of the categories listed here - and take a minute to view this inspiring video about the city of Detroit.
Animals & Nature
- Detroit Zoo
- Explore the Arctic
- National Aquarium
- San Diego Zoo
- Sea World Orlando
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
Cities & Countries
Detroit & Michigan
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra Live Performances
- Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation
- Traverse City
- Under the Radar Michigan
Kids & Family
- Detroit Institute of Arts Virtual Field Trip
- Michigan Science Center
- Take a Trip to Mars
- Tour the White House
Print & emedia
The Library's collection also offers a variety of ways to experience a virtual vacation:
- cloudlibrary Listen to your favorite travel books.
- Hoopla Travel videos for all ages.
- Travel Guidebooks (Print) Fodor, Frommer, Lonely Planet and more.
- A Tale of Two, or Three, or More Cities A curated list of city histories.
- A to Z the USA Explore the USA, from sea to shining sea and beyond.
- A to Z World Travel Comprehensive travel guides to 200 world cities.
- Global Road Warrior A cultural database with in-depth information on 175 countries.
Kick back and soak up some travel tips as well as "visit" some fascinating destinations.
- Amateur Traveler This long-running podcast (over 600 episodes) talks about a different destination every week.
- Globetrotter Lounge Hosted by award-winning travel expert Jet Set Lisette who interviews inspiring women who have found creative ways to travel the world.
- Switchback Kids Elizabeth and Cole Donelson (aka the Switchback Kids) visited all of the 59 national parks, and share their experiences, including top lists, budgeting tips and more.
- The Thoughtful Travel Podcast Hosted by travel blogger Amanda Kendle, who interviews fellow travel addicts about their travel experiences, like getting lost, navigating different cultures, and meeting the locals.
Head back to 62 Days of Summer for more ways to participate in the summer program!