March 27, 2019 | gladdenk
The Chairperson, Amy Watts, called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM.
Present: Nancy Eggenberger, Jasmine Lee, Jane Pandit, Don Turner, Amy Watts
Absent: Michelle Farell
Also Present: E. Davis, K. Gladden
- CALL TO AUDIENCE (R. Bonner, R. Fairchild, K. Hedrick, A. Iqbal, M. Jordan, D. McHugh, M. Nicholson, R. Noble, D. Stein, N. Szczepanski) – None
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved by unanimous consent.
- APPROVAL OF GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
The minutes were approved by unanimous consent.
- COMMUNICATIONS — None
- DIRECTORS REPORT — Secretary/Treasurer Jane Pandit is interested in attending the Friends of Michigan Libraries Trustees Workshop in Novi; if any other trustees are interested, there is money in the budget for that purpose.
- The Livonia Public Library, which is part of The Library Network’s Shared Automation System, has instituted a new policy, directed at non-resident patrons from stand-alone libraries, which requires their home library to complete a “Patron in Good Standing” form before the patrons can use their library cards at any of the Livonia library branches. Our attorney has reviewed the form, and in her opinion the form is a violation of the Library Privacy Act. Eva Davis has contacted the Director of the Livonia Public Library, asking the LPL to reconsider their position. Davis has informed LPL and the entire TLN membership that Canton Public Library staff will not complete these forms unless they comply with state law and the TLN cooperative Plan of Service and guidelines for reciprocal borrowing.
- We are 16% through 2019, and on track with a few of the usual exceptions. Fringe Benefits are trending higher due to the MERS lump sum payment that was made early in the year. Also, many contracts and licensing fees are paid in January, so Professional and Contractual is also trending higher.
- TRUSTEE COMMENTS — Vice Chair Nancy Eggenberger will not be present for the board meeting in May. She further advised that a change in her work schedule may result in her absence at meetings from September through December. This situation may change, however; she will keep the board apprised.
- COMMITTEE REPORTS — None
- OLD BUSINESS — Revised Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Policy
N. Eggenberger moved and J. Pandit supported the Resolution to accept the revised Freedom of Information Act
(FOIA) Procedures and Guidelines as presented.
ROLL CALL VOTE
Yes: D. Turner, J. Lee, J. Pandit, N. Eggenberger, A. Watts
The motion passed 19/3‑21-1 (5-0-0)
- NEW BUSINESS
- ENGIE Services Study Presentation — Ken Hedrick of ENGIE Services made a brief PowerPoint presentation of the Program Development Analysis report created by the firm in December 2018. With the assistance of ENGIE team members Rob Fairchild and Dan Stein, he answered a variety of questions put to him by each of the board trustees. The board will have an in-depth discussion regarding ENGIE’s proposal at the April board meeting, when trustee Michelle Farell will also be present.
- State Paid Medical Leave Act Discussion — Late in the last legislative session, the Michigan House and Senate passed the Michigan Paid Medical Leave Act, which goes into effect as of March 29, 2019. The board was given different options whereby the library will be in compliance with the new law; they will vote on their preferred option at the April meeting.
- Exhibit and Display Policy Revision (1st reading)— The expiration of the library’s contract and subsequent removal of the Everything Canton display, plus a revision of how long postings are maintained on the lobby display wall and bulletin board, necessitate changes to the Exhibit and Display Policy. The board will vote on this revised policy at the April meeting.
- 2020 Budget Discussion (Expenditures) — Library Materials —Proposed increases for Hoopla and Kanopy e-streaming services would finally boost the library materials budget expenditures to 15%. This would allow patrons to checkout more e-books, e-audiobooks and e-videos from the two popular services.
- CALL TO AUDIENCE – None
The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 PM.