August 28, 2020 | taramscott
Health Insurance Marketplace
- Read more about the Affordable Care Act
- View Michigan Marketplace Plan & Rate Information through the state's Department of Insurance and Financial Services
- View Affordable Care Act (ACA) Tax Provisions through the IRS website
FAQs: Health Insurance Marketplace and the ACA compiled by the Kaiser Family Foundation, a non-profit and non-partisan organization focused on national health.
COBRA provides certain former employees, retirees, spouses, former spouses, and dependent children the right to temporary continuation of health coverage at group rates. This coverage, however, is only available when coverage is lost due to certain specific events. Call toll free at 866-444-3272 for more information.
Consider enrolling in health insurance available through spouse’s or partner’s employer. Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, HIPAA, you have 30 days to enroll in your spouse/partner’s plan if you lose insurance due to loss of employment, regardless of when the open enrollment period is.
Private Health Insurance
Research health care insurance providers based on cost and amount of coverage. The National Committee for Quality Assurance not-for-profit organization provides "Report Cards" on Health Insurance Providers.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BC/BS, 877-4MY-BLUE [877-469-2583]) is the state's nonprofit insurer of last resort. BC/BS must accept all applicants.
Government Funded Health Insurance
- Veterans qualify for VA benefits: 877-222-8387
- Medicaid is available to low-income families, disabled persons, children, and pregnant women.
- MIChild (Toll free: 888-988-6300) helps children under age 19 of working families (those who do not qualify for Medicaid). This program has a higher income bracket than the Medicaid program.
- Medicare is for individuals age 65 or older as well as individuals with disabilities or permanent kidney failure. An explanation of Medicare Benefits is available from the Social Security Administration.